Deep water was a rollin' a little too much on Mon AM so stayed in close to join a few others who I assumed were fishing for browns. Never really tried for these and I don't have planer boards in the boat, but we set the spoons far back 60-70' and trolled 8-11' down in the 30-40 fow area. Marked a lot and managed to boat a couple nice ones.  Any other hints for fishing for browns without planers? My brother's first trip up for Lake O fishing and I got him on a few nice Kings the day before out in 400'. 

IMG_20190819_104115407_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190818_182617002.jpg

• Like 2

Deep water was a rollin' a little too much on Mon AM so stayed in close to join a few others who I assumed were fishing for browns. Never really tried for these and I don't have planer boards in the boat, but we set the spoons far back 60-70' and trolled 8-11' down in the 30-40 fow area. Marked a lot and managed to boat a couple nice ones.  Any other hints for fishing for browns without planers? My brother's first trip up for Lake O fishing and I got him on a few nice Kings the day before out in 400'. 
IMG_20190819_104115407_HDR.thumb.jpg.23edaed530d092bda8f6e2f402b6c7ab.jpg
IMG_20190818_182617002.thumb.jpg.8e8e7b5acb9248b8f7a18b567d39c8c0.jpg

For the most part I run smaller spoon like slim Michigan stingers. 60' leaders off the ball and set the riggers where the marks are. I tend to get the bigger Browns closer to the bottom. Dipsey or slide divers out 60' or so also work great. With the planners I will run leadlines. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yankee is on the money "don't necessarily need boards for browns this time of the year"

We mixed it up yesterday in OZ fishing both Kings & Browns. Had a great Brown bite last two hours of daylight. Riggers 5-15' off the bottom, slide diver on one side and a modified Chinook diver out 100' on the other side. All took multiple shots.

We did have cores on the boards as well but only took 2 hits on those.

Michigan stinger standard size & Dreamweaver super slims are all you need.

Although they do love the meat as well. 

Most important is find the temp and fish the marks.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Will definitely try the smaller spoons and dipseys and watch my bottom depth. I like the idea of an evening run for browns because it's easier to reach the shallower water from dockside.