Spring Browns

mdryer

Ditto to what Time Out said. I usually run my noodle rod down the middle, and the furthest back in my spread. I'll let anyone catch fish on the other gear, but when that rod goes off ITS MINE! Years back my buddy caught a 15lb Brown in I-Bay on his noodle rod. I think we went almost a full pass on the North side of the bridge before we landed it.

For planer/surface duty I use the Eagle Claw 8'6" "LIGHT" rod with the 17 or 27 LC reel spooled with 10 (last year I used 12 and 15, and I think it hurt me), these rods are inexpensive but rugged and have an awesome action for smaller browns. I have used these with both inlines and dual boards, they were a bit soupy when we tried 2 colors on them off the inlines and I switched those reels to a pair of Cabelas med.light rods. I use the Eagle claw setups to troll using inlines for walleye,pickerel and small mouths in my canoe outfitted with an electric trolling motor and they are great for that too!

Back to the original question about line weight... I think you will find that the 30# has a slower sink rate and therefore won't go as deep for the same amount of line out. Many times spring browns are taken off long lines on top, or off the boards and these would be the concern. Some guys splice in a long (200') length of lighter line at the end of their 30# and then remove it later in the season. Of course, off the rigger, sink rate is not an issue and a short leader off the 30# is an OK way to go.

if you are looking for some light trolling rods I bought 4 of these last year. and rigged them with 17lc's and 10lb mason t-line. this will be my first year using them for browns but at the end of last season i did manage some finger lakes LLS and rainbows on them and they felt like a train!

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-hl-d- ... elid=FROOG