Sausage

5 hours ago, Bosun Cowboy said:

Buy a grinder and a stuffed and make your own. It’s super easy and very inexpensive. We Started making our own few years ago and it’s turns out great

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2 I started last year.. Walton’s online store has high temp cheeses and a ton of pre made flavor packets

Swan Market on Parcels Ave in Rochester.  Unlike some other shops, you take your venison you get your venison back.  Its not community meat! I have venison Italian sausage made and its great!  They do slim sticks, jerky, hot dogs and tons of sausages. 

47 minutes ago, Outdoor Lover said:

Tony Castanza's in Webster does pretty good blending with a myriad of choices....... 

But it is community meat.  That's my only issue with his place.  Great stuff though. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

With the season now turning to getting my deer flavored in sausage etc, I thought it would be time to start the process of what I needed to get.  Used Castanza's last year and absolutely loved the Romano Garlic Sausage.  I also realize I spent a few bucks so its not cheap.  Im ok with that as long as the quality is there with it.  I remember trying to use a place that used only your own meat. I also remember having to have enough for a "Batch" to get the required amount.   I thought that's what I was told last year by someone from there.  After I read about the community meat I called them last night to find out the deal.  I spoke to a friendly gentleman that seemed very knowledgeable.  He said they do not cleanout the grinder or wash the pan's between batches but in no way do they mix meats from different hunters.  Went through briefly the process as I remembered what i was told last year.  He understood my concerns with the mixing of meat as I take pretty good care of dressing / hanging / the deboning of my deer.   Not that I have a skin in their business, but just thought I would share.  

Im going to take Gamblers suggestion and try Swan as well, would be good to try different products. 

Thanks Whaler! So do you call before you bring? Or just show up during business hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Call before you go! They do not take venison from 11-2 because the place is small and it draws big crowds for lunch. He also stops taking meat when he gets over loaded. He gets caught up and then takes meat again. You can also bring him meat all year. I bring them meat that I have in the freezer in the summer when my supply of Italian sausage or pepperoni sticks gets low. I dropped 33.5lbs off today. He said they were getting slammed but still accepting meat.

Call before you go! They do not take venison from 11-2 because the place is small and it draws big crowds for lunch. He also stops taking meat when he gets over loaded. He gets caught up and then takes meat again. You can also bring him meat all year. I bring them meat that I have in the freezer in the summer when my supply of Italian sausage or pepperoni sticks gets low. I dropped 33.5lbs off today. He said they were getting slammed but still accepting meat.

Thanks Brian, I’m butchering Saturday, hopefully I’ll make it in time before they lock up for a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Not quite right about that Brian.  They cut off about the last day or two of muzzleloader for a long Christmas break. It is always best to call.  I have been using Swans for six years now and they will make anything you want as long as they make the same product out of beef/ pork.  There are a few German sausages they have made for me that are not on their official list.  Just ask. And, while your there, stay and have lunch. Try a sampler meal of their brats and wurst.  Inexpensive and very good.