Hard Water Walleyes

ReelLaxing

Trip north of the border this past weekend for some hard water walleyes. Bite was very slow and while I did not get a bite all day, Unkel Jim and his son Tyler did manage to pull two monsters through the ice. Tyler's was 12.5lbs and Jim's 11lbs.

IMG_0783.jpg

You know it Gray, a rabbit's foot, lucking penny, or should I say "Looney" while in Canada, definately something since even the Canadian's weren't catching anything. I know, it must have been my superior guiding experience and knowledge of the bay that did it, yeah, that's it.

And to think I didnt go because I had to make to many phone calls! I wont do that again!

Nice job Ty and Logan way to show the old men how to get it done! LOL!! Those 2 boys dont know how good they got it! Those kids catch fish with the best of them! Trust me I have witnessed it.

Nice Job Jim and Lou! I wont turn that invite down again!

Planning another trip up here in the next week or two, so the invite is always open Brian. I've seen fish like these come through the ice there time and time again so good chances for more like them. The problem many times it catching the smaller "eater" size eyes.

Thanks YT and Bill. Actually there's room for Landshark at the honey hole, the more the merrier.

Stan, it's actually not that bad. You catch one fish through a hole in the ice and your hooked. Add in the social aspect of it, the beer, venison steaks with peppers and onions and it's even better. And... it helps pass the winter months away until we can get out boats back on the lake.

Thanks guy's, that was a great trip. Brian you are right our boy's do not know how good they got it. Come on Gray Luck?

Here is a picture from today's outing. We tagged along with Tall Tails to one of his secret spots. Thanks for a good day on the ice.

IMG_0785.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Those are beautiful Walleye. What do you use for bait? Do you jig for them, or use Tip-ups? How deep to fish for these beauties, and what type of structure? The reason, I am asking, I have never caught a Walleye yet, thru the ice or during the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Waterwalker, we use large jigs, usually Kastmasters tipped with a minnow or two. Fish them in about 25' of water about a foot off the bottom. In Canada where we were, tip ups are a rare site, most fish by jigging for them.