Salmon, is it worth the knife?

I am just starting out salmon trolling this year and am curious since I have tried numerous “fresh” salmon during the early fall run and found it is only palatable smoked. Is lake caught salmon all that much better and worth the preparation for a family dinner?  I’d like to hear some thoughts on this and maybe get some favorite recipes since they are so much fun to catch.

• Like 1

Preparing correctly before cooking is the key.  Bleed them out and immediately put them on ice.  Filet the skin off an trim the red/brown flesh off the back side of the filet.  I marinate mine in the recipe I will post here below in second for you try.  I grill it in a grill basket and it is great!

IMG_2347.JPG

Edited by GAMBLER

Some people won't eat it no matter what just because they don't like it. I've never had fresh salmon from the lake that wasn't good, once they hit the river not so good and the longer they're in the river the worse they get. 

Thanks for the input!  Gambler that is exactly how I prepare bluefish and mackerel right on the beach and it makes all the difference in the world.  Thanks for the recipe, it helps to know a tried and true method.  Hopefully I’ll get to land some over the weekend while I’m at camp  by Henderson and give it a try on the grill

1 minute ago, greenhornet73 said:

Thanks for the input!  Gambler that is exactly how I prepare bluefish and mackerel right on the beach and it makes all the difference in the world.  Thanks for the recipe, it helps to know a tried and true method.  Hopefully I’ll get to land some over the weekend while I’m at camp  by Henderson and give it a try on the grill

The ingredients are hard to find but Super Walmart has them.  I hate giving them my money but the recipe is worth it. 

For lake caught salmon, preferably still silver, I've had good success preparing the fillets as GAMBLER noted, but rather than marinating, place strips of bacon on both sides of the fillets, then grill (lump charcoal) in a hinged basket. Keep the heat reasonably low for a slow cook... the bacon bastes the salmon, allowing the the oil in the salmon to cook off slowly (important). Based on a culinary technique known as larding.

36 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Preparing correctly before cooking is the key.  Bleed them out and immediately put them on ice.  Filet the skin off an trim the red/brown flesh off the back side of the filet.  I marinate mine in the recipe I will post here below in second for you try.  I grill it in a grill basket and it is great!

IMG_2347.JPG

The point in the above post about "Bleeding the fish"  IMO makes all the difference.  Don't do it they taste like ****.

Silver out of the lake are way better than river run salmon, especially if they've been there for a while and are dark.

We normally keep 14" and under for eating any ways and those are amazing.

When salmon transition for the run, they stop eating, and that's when they turn dark and start decomposing. Stomachs shrink up

to nothing and without that diet, they start deteriorating.

If you catch a silver fish, it means that deterioration hasn't really set in yet, so normally you're good to go. 

Found a 4 lb skipper king when we pulled lines Saturday morning and had it for dinner last night. Treated it like an oven-baked trout -  head & tail cut off, stuffed with fresh lime slices and a spice blend I like. Sealed it in tinfoil and baked it - delicious!

They're all terrific fresh, cleaned properly and out of cold water. I've never eaten one that was running the river - usually too busy chasing steelhead!

If you do not like salmon from the grocery store you are probably not going to like salmon from the lake. The salmon from the lake is def better but it is not magic salmon that will make you like eating fish all of a sudden unless you have some weird do it yourself fetish.

The lake Salmon are the best Wild Salmon you can get. They're way more expensive than store bought Wild Salmon though, but that's a different story. Try marinating in Veri-Veri Teriyaki sauce in the refrigerator for an hour or more and grill. Absolutely easy and delicious. Or any of your favorite recipes will be great with Salmon from the lake if the fish are handled properly. 

I don't like them at all. But I should try bleeding them and using the recipes provided. Sad thing is they usually die when I release them so I keep them all. I smoke them and folks absolutely devour them! Even then I'm not fond of them. I use the brown sugar and salt as a rub, as shown on YouTube smokehouse products video.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, Neo1945 said:

Would any one care to post "How to smoke a Salmon or Lake Trout, Rainbow, Brown" (In a smoker smart ass)?

I use 3 cups brown sugar and 1 cup salt.  mix them together and put a thin layer in a Tupperware bowl, lay the filets on top and cover with more brown sugar mixture. continue until all the fish is covered. 

put it in the fridge for 24 hrs.  remove fish and lightly rinse each piece and place on a rack to dry in the fridge for 6 to 8 hrs. ( they'll form a skin layer ) then smoke at a temp of 160 for 3 hrs.  basting with maple syrup and flipping every hour. after 3 hrs turn the heat up to 190 for 1 to 2 hrs continuing to flip every 1/2 hr and basting with maple syrup.  total smoke and cook time is 4 to 5 hrs. best smoked salmon or trout you'll ever eat.   

• Like 1

I am just starting out salmon trolling this year and am curious since I have tried numerous “fresh” salmon during the early fall run and found it is only palatable smoked. Is lake caught salmon all that much better and worth the preparation for a family dinner?  I’d like to hear some thoughts on this and maybe get some favorite recipes since they are so much fun to catch.

Here is a batch of salmon and steelhead from yesterday marinated in the recipe I posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app