Salmon, is it worth the knife?

I love doing salmon with a brown sugar and soy sauce marinade. I put a fillet in some Tupperware, cover the fillet in brown sugar and add enough soy sauce to dissolve the sugar. No real measuring involved. Let the fish marinade for 2-4 hours, 2 hours is just fine. Grill meat side down for some nice char marks then flip skin side down to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, rdebadts said:

Slice the gills, head down in a cooler for 5 mins, then gut them and clean out their abdominal cavity. I immediately put in ice. It is excellent, if done properly!

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

I would love to see some pictures of this. Thanks!

7 hours ago, rdebadts said:

Slice the gills, head down in a cooler for 5 mins, then gut them and clean out their abdominal cavity. I immediately put in ice. It is excellent, if done properly!

I've heard that you want to be careful if you open up the abdominal cavity not to puncture the intestine. Even on ice, fish are extremely susceptible to bacterial contamination. IMHO, if at all possible, I would leave them whole until just prior to being able to wash and freeze them - although it sounds like you haven't had any issues.

8 hours ago, rdebadts said:

So....you gut each fish as you catch them? You're making a mess on the boat every time you catch a fish? Seems like more trouble than it's worth...I don't even bleed mine and my fish are delicious. 

If you are someone with a bit of patience:lol: bleed them in the net held over the side of the boat. Just slit them across the triangular area behind the gills. It doesn't take very long if done right and very little mess.

If you are someone with a bit of patience[emoji38] bleed them in the net held over the side of the boat. Just slit them across the triangular area behind the gills. It doesn't take very long if done right and very little mess.
Slice and tow on a boga also works great and can be done while resetting can also slice along abdoman and pull out the guts nice clean fish to work with at the fillet table

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, Tyee II said:

The lake Salmon are the best Wild Salmon you can get. They're way more expensive than store bought Wild Salmon though, but that's a different story. Try marinating in Veri-Veri Teriyaki sauce in the refrigerator for an hour or more and grill. Absolutely easy and delicious. Or any of your favorite recipes will be great with Salmon from the lake if the fish are handled properly. 

X2. Just learned about Veri-Veri sauce this year and  its a great easy way to make salmon on the grill. Just don't overcook it like I did yesterday:(

Another great way is to soak fillets in soy sauce for 15-30 minutes, then slab on some kind of creamy salad dressing- ranch, Caesar, Thousand Island, etc and then coat with bread crumbs and put flesh side down on grill, then flip and let cook till done.

So many easy ways to cook it.
I like to grill fillets with skin on, with a silicone mat or cedar plank. A simple light season of salt, and garlic pepper. I also like with teriyaki sauce. Some like to lightly brush on maple syrup.

I also actually fry it too, same as walleye or perch. I cut up the big fillets in small nugget sizes. A simple fry recipe is to soak nuggets in buffalo sauce, then coat in flour, then deep fry.... thank me later ;)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

We bleed them by cutting gills and then on ice till we process them. Larger fish over 15 lbs. we zipper the fillets to remove the dark meat. And we always skim our fillets. We are very careful when processing so we don’t need to rinse the fillets as this degrades the texture. When grilling I do mine medium rare for best taste and texture. For seasoning I like salt pepper and smoked paprika.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

13 hours ago, garrymny said:

I'm surprised so many leave the skin on. I always skin them even when smoking because I hate that blood stripe that lies under the skin.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The skin has naturally occurring antibiotics in the fish slime. There are Canadian fish camps that have learned to keep the skin on walleye fillets ( you have to leave on while crossing the border with fish anyway) for freezing and stacking the fillets skin down on top of the meat of the bottom fillet so there is always contact of skin on meat. I have no scientific proof this works.