Fish hawk speed

Just started noticing that my speed is sometimes very different if I have a line rigged, but when I just drop the probe with no line hooked it gives me a different speed reading. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. Wondering what speed reading should I go off?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There shouldn't be any difference between rigged and unrigged. Is your probe below your line release? If not that may be why.

15 hours ago, Matt ching said:

Just started noticing that my speed is sometimes very different if I have a line rigged, but when I just drop the probe with no line hooked it gives me a different speed reading. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. Wondering what speed reading should I go off?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Are these speed differences all at the same depth? Make sure you're not dealing with currents if you're comparing surface speed to down speed. Other than that can't imagine why.    

I tested mine this morning and I observe the same thing.  When I have a line rigged, my probe reads about .5 mph faster than when I don’t.  

I have a blacks release with the probe directly below.  When I Pop the release, my probe reading drops by.5 mph. Was out with a charter on Ontario yesterday who had a blacks release and a cannon release off the ball on his probe rigger.  When I asked him why, he told me that having a line in the blacks screws up his speed reading.  

And the mystery continues:smile: stay tuned....someone may have an answer:lol: The only thing I can think of is that when the downrigger line (or lines with a slider) is in the Black release and the release is directly fastened to the wire above the weight the lure action may be jerking the wire frequently and repeatedly because the impeller on the probe (water friction driven) is being jerked as well causing a false reading (readings are updated and probably "averaged" within the span of measurement time) which is slightly higher than actual speed at the weight. When the release is on the weight itself the lure action and "jerking" may be cancelled out by the weight of the ball itself countering-acting  it. Just an armchair guess....

Edited by Sk8man