Cayuga 8/26

Launched out of T-falls at 6:30am decided to run a few miles north. Our standard 6 rod spread kept us pretty busy all morning. 2 Riggers and 4 cores. Fished from 45 FOW - 300 FOW

Morning started with many short strikes and we struggled to get fish to the net. After a few adjustments, the lakers and salmon kept us very busy. Pretty much had a double on for over an hour.

Took a break for an hour and started fishing again around 11:30. Decided to look for browns in tight and instead found rainbows. Landed 6 or 8 bows up to 7.5lbs. We lost an even larger fish after in swamped my TX-22 for 5 minutes then got into the 10 color...

We called it around 1pm as it’s a 3 hour ride home. Finished the day going 24-40 or so. Cayuga is an amazing fishery with very healthy fish. Hopefully next time we’ll be able to locate some BT.

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Nice work Alex. Look for the browns within 80 or so feet of water adjacent to steep drop-offs near shallow areas and early in the AM they may be taken off boards nearer shore when the light is low. They frequently  actively feed at night and unless you fish specifically for them usually they are "unintended" catches for most folks.. If pulling riggers for them pretty much have to fish it from the shore side and work out gradually with the lure short to the weight and near ( e.g. 5 ft off) but not on bottom. They like 58-62 degree water this time of year especially if it intersects bottom near where I initially mentioned. Sometimes you get an unintended laker but that technique can take big browns on the Fingers.:smile:

Great day Alex!  thanks for the report. Love those orange finned lakers this time of year. Your expertise on silvers hasn’t left you either, way to go.

Thank you! I’m by no means an expert, just in awe of what that lake has to offer. In regards to that laker, by far the best looking one I’ve ever seen in person.

Nice work Alex. Look for the browns within 80 or so feet of water adjacent to steep drop-offs near shallow areas and early in the AM they may be taken off boards nearer shore when the light is low. They frequently  actively feed at night and unless you fish specifically for them usually they are "unintended" catches for most folks.. If pulling riggers for them pretty much have to fish it from the shore side and work out gradually with the lure short to the weight and near ( e.g. 5 ft off) but not on bottom. They like 58-62 degree water this time of year especially if it intersects bottom near where I initially mentioned. Sometimes you get an unintended laker but that technique can take big browns on the Fingers.:smile:

Thanks for the information. We worked hard for them just couldn’t make it happen.

I used to catch some big browns on the south end of Cayuga just off the drop off using sawbellies. If I was marking fish say 40 down ,I would cast a sawbellie 40ft from the boat clip a bobber on then cast the bobber out to get it away from the boat. Absolutely deadly for browns.

Now ive got fancy trolling equipment so I dont fish that way anymore. I kinda miss it.

• Like 1