Cannon Mag 10A

Greetings!

I bought a boat last year, With 4 of the Canon Mag 10A already installed. It's a. 88 Chris craft 215 Seahawk. I assume the Cannons are atleast 88 or newer.

Is there a replacement switch for continuous up? My switches are only momentary. I've heard of a 4 prong switch. Will this work? This is what is installed now.

thanks in advance.

J.D.

15669390059321889663767623442919.jpg

There are 3 prong and 4 prong types so make sure you order the right one if you do. I would check the connections to the switch for corrosion and possibly spray with electronic contact cleaner as a first thing to try...may just be a poor connection since you have it momentarily . Also if there  is an inline fuse I'd try replacing it in case it has corrosion too.

call fish 307 in lake George New York they service all my down riggers every season you can not go wrong ask for the repair man I think his name is Mike he will give you all the advice over the phone and they have all the parts

Yeah, just give them a call. I was given some old Mag 10's that didn't work. I told them what was going on, they put together a package, I paid and they sent it. I rehabbed those old riggers and they have been like new since. Slow by todays standards, but solid as a rock.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Mag 10A riggers I had were the same way as yours... you had to hold the switch up the whole time to reel them in, so there is nothing wrong with your riggers. Those round motors on the 10A aren't made anymore so if one dies you will never find a replacement for it. I ended up selling my 10As and picking up some Mag10s.  The Mag 10 motors aren't cheap but you can still buy them new if something goes wrong. 

It may require more than just a new switch to achieve what you are looking for though. The Mag 10s I had and the Mag 5HS I currently have don't use an constant on switch, you hit "up" on the switch (the switch then falls right back to the "neutral" position) but that engages the auto-stop feature. That reels in the line until the cable breaks the surface of the water which disconnects the circuit and stops the rigger. 

The difference in the 3 and 4 prong switches is the auto stop feature. The switch is probably bad but I was just suggesting checking for corrosion because it could act in a similar way to corrupt the switch.Sometimes the little boot covering the toggle gets cracked or a hole in it and lets in water and messes up the switch. The guys at fish307 in Lake George are great to deal with and will help you out if they still have the stuff in stock. Just describe the problem and they will know what you need.

Edited by Sk8man

I still run an old pair of these mixed with new ones.

The 4 prong switch is with the auto-stop.  As stated, when the ball is in the water below the auto stop section, hitting up will keep the motor engaged until that resin section breaks the connectivity.  If you see that behavior, it's working properly.

You are getting oxidation on the motor so the housing is no longer sealed properly.  When you put back together, make sure you seal the seam of the housing well to keep as much vapor out of that housing.  Too much water will fry the motherboard...replaced one last year :)

No...it goes back to neutral and ball up process continues until the resin part on the cable connection breaks the surface.  At that time the connection is broken and the motor should stop winding.  If you are missing that piece, the motor will continue to wind up until you click the switch down to stop it.

1 minute ago, gasman2438 said:

YOU ARE WELCOME GLAD TO HELP. 

REMEMBER IT'S NOT ALWAS ABOUT CATCHING FISH. JUST GET OUT ON THE WATER. THE FISH ARE A BONUS

Dennis is "old school"  and really knows his stuff .....been at  it a long time and is a valuable resource :yes: I could probably use a copy of that myself...my 10A's are getting nearly as old as me:lol: