Hey guys. I figured it would happen at some point, just didnt think so soon. Got a 43" on waneta, which i know isnt huge by muskie standards, but its far and away the biggest fish ive caught. The problem lies in that I couldnt revive her... tried for about a half hour but she just couldn't stay upright. So rather than let her go and rot, I kept her, and I want to get her mounted. Any recommendations on a taxidermist semi close to the finger lakes area? Just want to do her justice.30513.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I regretfully have to write this post as this photo is very saddening. We as Musky anglers have spent countless hours learning to fish and protect these great creatures that we cherish so much and seeing these pics just do not sit right with me. I feel it is the anglers responsibility to learn as much as he can about any angling he or she decides to participate in. As for Musky fishing I feel that fishing for them is only 1/4 of the factor in the anglers responsibility when fishing for them. It is much more important to learn, and have the proper release tools to ensure a safe release rather then catching Muskie. It is very hurtful to see the fish we care so much about being killed by an angler that may have not spent the time to learn their responsibilities prior to the start of hunting for Muskie. As Muskie fishing increases in popularity I have noticed a lot more novice anglers asking for advice on where and how to catch them. As more experienced anglers answer these questions that we have ourselves spent so much time figuring out maybe we should step back and talk more about being educated on what happens if you catch a Muskie. I hope that I can help newer anglers in this way and my personal goals would be to get as much release information out to the public as I can. I hope that as a muskie community we can try our best to do this as well hopefully preventing things like this from happening in the future. Are there going to be fish that are killed? Absolutely there are all kinds of scenarios in which there may be nothing that we can do but atleast we can educate as many people to deal with these situations the best they can. Our responsibilities as Muskie anglers is not to win tournaments or get a photo of big catches but to protect these fish as best we can before, during, and after the catch. Education on water temps, holding the fish out of the water too long, maybe not even taking the fish out of the water if they are too stressed is what we really need to be teaching to the next generation or newer anglers. Again sorry for this rant which is not what it is meant to be but hopefully an eye opener to prevent tragedies like this from happening in the future. This is just a personal opinion and I apologize if this offends people but at the same time I hope it reaches some of you to help with education on our beloved sport.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

No offense taken Clint, just thought I'd share my lows as well as highs, in hopes of educating someone else to hopefully avoid my lows (this one being quite embarrassing). The origin of this post wasn't meant to offend, just looking for help to make the best of a bad situation that I did definitely learn from. Apologies for the photos. I will practice a little more censorship going forward.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

It seems like there a lot of apologies first the vertical hold then this. first the fish should not be taken out of the water to unhook. Do it in the net boat side ( watch any video you will see them do that) would have given you a lot more time

side cutters are not the best to use should get yourself a pair of knipex but if you leave them at home pinch the barbs the hooks come out easy and hooks are cheap Should check on equipment before you leave the landing so you know where every thing is that is another part of preparation you have a lot to learn before go out again maybe spend more time learning less posting

The guy has a whopping 38 posts.  I appreciate and respect the thoughtfulness you guys have for Muskies but it begs the question, if youre all that concerned why do you continue to fish for them?

• Like 8

16 hours ago, NymphO said:

If you want something unique, look up "hans the carver" on FB. His work is second to none, and more than just taxidermy.

Hans is a true artist. He carves every detail down to the scales and his painting is superb. Just incredible and leaps and bounds beyond the rest. So is the cost, but if you can afford it I doubt you will find any better.

• Like 2

It seems like there a lot of apologies first the vertical hold then this. first the fish should not be taken out of the water to unhook. Do it in the net boat side ( watch any video you will see them do that) would have given you a lot more time
side cutters are not the best to use should get yourself a pair of knipex but if you leave them at home pinch the barbs the hooks come out easy and hooks are cheap Should check on equipment before you leave the landing so you know where every thing is that is another part of preparation you have a lot to learn before go out again maybe spend more time learning less posting
Wow, from reading your post it seems like you know everything there is about muskie fishing, and you researched and perfected everything before you even attempted to muskie fish,and have never hurt or killed a fish, right?

The OP is entitled to keep the fish and get it mounted if that's what he wants to do. He clearly stated that wasnt his intention but you guys continue to chastise anyways. Rant over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 5

Great fish Aspiring_Pollack! It often takes people many years to get a fish that size; it took a couple of my buddies a few seasons to even get their first fish - congrats!

It’s unfortunate that the fish didn’t make it when you tried to release it but that’s part of the game. I had one once that I couldn’t make go even with all the proper tools on board and using them in the theoretically “correct” way.

I’m glad you were able to share it with the boy- he will always remember the fish you caught that was almost as big as him!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

People posting the "protection" of muskies (like myself) are often the ones who have puts years of dedication to inform , promote and protect this resource and often have alot invested in time and effort. For some it's become almost personal bc of effort involved over the years.

If someone would like to learn more about muskies, please stop into one of our free informational muskie inc meetings. Imo- It helps shorten the learning curve in many aspects.

Tight lines n best wishes!received_1582541065215474.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zach said:

People posting the "protection" of muskies (like myself) are often the ones who have puts years of dedication to inform , promote and protect this resource and often have alot invested in time and effort. For some it's become almost personal bc of effort involved over the years.

If someone would like to learn more about muskies, please stop into one of our free informational muskie inc meetings. Imo- It helps shorten the learning curve in many aspects.

Tight lines n best wishes!received_1582541065215474.jpeg

X2

• Like 1

Great fish!  Don't beat yourself up too much...those of us who are honest about it will tell you we made mistakes in the beginning as well.  Plan, prepare, research...all great, but when it comes down to it it takes practice.  Doesn't matter how good you get at handling muskies there will always be some mortality though not handling and measuring fish is the BEST option.  Bump boards and cameras are pretty tough on muskies too....Only way to protect them all is to take the hooks out and even then sometimes there eyes are bigger than their stomachs!  

• Like 1

Congrats on your catch. Don't sweat it. You seem to have the right attitude and try to be better prepared and have a successful release next time.  Muskie fisherman can be pretty passionate/dedicated and can often come across the wrong way.  Don't let it deter you from joining a Muskies Inc Chapter if you really like muskie fishing.  There is a ton of information and friendships that can be gained. There's an unbelievable amount of detail to learn and some exceptional muskie anglers that you can meet. It does seem like too many guys just get information from the internet (facebook groups) these days on how and where to catch them without being properly prepared.  It's one of the things that's kept me from posting much the last couple years.

We all started somewhere.  I've been at it 20 plus years and have handled/released close to a few thousand now.  I'll admit I still kill a couple most years...it happens.  When you start, you want pictures of everything. Use a big net to keep the fish in the water to unhook. Only take it out of the water for a few seconds for a couple pictures and get them right back. The bigger the fish and the warmer the water, the tougher the release will be. Most days now, I don't net anything unless they are too big for me to unhook in the water with pliers while holding the leader, and I want a measurement and a picture. When I'm lucky, that's for my daughter when she joins us in the boat. Most everything under 45" gets released this way now for me, but nothing wrong with having a good release practice and getting a picture.  Good luck.

• Like 2