Cayuga Headed out Saturday - Canandaigua or Cayuga?

Gonna head out by myself with 2 dipsy rods Sat morning - I haven't fished either lake on the weekend before - would launch out of South end Canandaigua or Deans cove Cayuga. Which would you prefer on a Sat? Only fished Cayuga once and it was very slow for us.

If the weather is decent forget about the north end of Canandaigua it will probably be packed on the weekend especially. South end if you go early AM should be better. I live right here within 5 minutes of the north end launch at Canandaigua and fish Dean's and Lake O at this time of year if that tells you anything:lol: Fleas  are reportedly bad as are the weed pads floating around in Canandaigua.

Edited by Sk8man

5 hours ago, Sk8man said:

If the weather is decent forget about the north end of Canandaigua it will probably be packed on the weekend especially. South end if you go early AM should be better. I live right here within 5 minutes of the north end launch at Canandaigua and fish Dean's and Lake O at this time of year if that tells you anything:lol: Fleas  are reportedly bad as are the weed pads floating around in Canandaigua.

Thanks :)  South end hasn't seemed too bad, Cayuga is a bit farther for me, and I was a little concerned about the wind there being a larger lake. Side note - at Canandaigua, I've been using these smaller stingers, would these larger ones work as well? I bought for salmon.  The lake trout had fish in their bellies around the same size.

2019-08-29 16.50.02.jpg

2019-08-29 16.49.50.jpg

Small to medium light weight flutter spoons work best trolled pretty fast for rainbows. It is a good place to experiment.....different sizes, types, action (don't be afraid to bend one and play with it ). You may also wan t try short leads at first and then gradually lengthen them as the day moves on. Keep changing up your speed until you find something that clicks and make a lot of turns and if you notice current run on a diagonal to it or against it. Not sure with this latest weather and wind where the thermocline will be located but often it runs from about 40 -75 or so about now. Run your stuff deeper  for lakers. They usually respond well to both flashers or Spin docs with flies of spoons. I'd use magnum spoons down real deep but smaller or mediums for everything else. As the sun gets higher in the sky move out toward the middle and run stuff a little deeper. A s I mentioned before I haven't been out here on awhile so this is just based on previous experience so keep experimenting. Give your spoons a work out best way to tell :smile: Good luck.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Small to medium light weight flutter spoons work best trolled pretty fast for rainbows. It is a good place to experiment.....different sizes, types, action (don't be afraid to bend one and play with it ). You may also wan t try short leads at first and then gradually lengthen them as the day moves on. Keep changing up your speed until you find something that clicks and make a lot of turns and if you notice current run on a diagonal to it or against it. Not sure with this latest weather and wind where the thermocline will be located but often it runs from about 40 -75 or so about now. Run your stuff deeper  for lakers. Thye usually respond well to both flashers or Spin docs with flies of spoons. I'd use magnum spoons down real deep but smaller or mediums for everything else.

Thanks for the tips! Thinking now that I'm just going to go to Cayuga for the day since it's just me and give it another shot. I mean its supposed to be great right?! Launching at Dean's, any tips on where to go? North/South? Last time it was awful for us I'd love to have a good day there.

Try right out in front of Dean's where it drops off  to check things out.Usually a variety of fish there.  We usually do well on the rainbows and salmon across the lake near Wells College (Aurora) just be careful with your dipsys as it comes up very abruptly there like a wall on the shelf. If you are unsure of where it is just point your boat to the right a little and head for the eastern shore and you may pick up a few lakers along the way:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1