Fat Guy in a Little Boat

Well I figure if the lake goes to shtt I can sit and relax at the cabin or maybe take the kids up and explore the river. Last chance to get out there for the year for me. It’s almost 3 for me . So I know where you are coming from

Edited by hookedupf7

Thanks for checking in. I torture myself every September. 4 1/2hr run for me but I'm used to driving for work. This is yr 12 for me and the misty harbor. Tried to graduate to something bigger but it's not in the cards. I'm almost glad, my step pop gave me his rig about 15 yrs ago. He only used 3 yrs, he passed 4 yrs ago and was a hell of a fisherman. I don't think he intended it for what I do, but I know he's laughing his ass off. If any of you guys ever need a body ,I'd drive up just for the ride. Can't tell you the adrenaline rush that guys get when we hook up. Good sh**t, but I'm always humble. Love reading all the threads during the late season. Alot of good folk on here. Keep it tight!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Low Baller, What is the size of your boat?  How do you like trolling with the tiller?  Last question how slow can you get that 25hp down to?

I picked up an Alumacraft fisherman 145 (measures out at 16' 3") last year with a Yamaha 25 tiller and thought it would be cool to give that a try. My boat doesn't get down quite slow enough with me and my son in the boat so I would have to see how to gear it down for trolling.

Anyway nice fish!

Low Baller, What is the size of your boat?  How do you like trolling with the tiller?  Last question how slow can you get that 25hp down to?

I picked up an Alumacraft fisherman 145 (measures out at 16' 3") last year with a Yamaha 25 tiller and thought it would be cool to give that a try. My boat doesn't get down quite slow enough with me and my son in the boat so I would have to see how to gear it down for trolling.

Anyway nice fish!
She's a 98 16 voyager deluxe . Tiller trolling can be trying. Hand cranks , planer mast etc. I don't have speed at the balls so it's a guessing game. She'll idle at 1.8 to 2.0 on surface speed. I listen to the cables, watch the degree of blowback and the 2 sonars. My old humminbird is angled to watch riggers and surface speed. The helix gives me structure as well. Some times I read following fish and then slow down, speed up or turn slightly to entice. Like they say, every squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Last year was the 1st time I limited solo, but conditions were good. I just run the gear and pass off rods now. Team effort. Alot of work but really cool when it comes together.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out the weather for Saturday also.  My boat has been very lonely the last two weekends at the little salmon river.  Not even sure yet for this weekend.  Saturday seeing West winds 15-20 knots on one site and 5-10 knots on another.  Oh well have to wait to see what it says tomorrow. 

Trying to figure out the weather for Saturday also.  My boat has been very lonely the last two weekends at the little salmon river.  Not even sure yet for this weekend.  Saturday seeing West winds 15-20 knots on one site and 5-10 knots on another.  Oh well have to wait to see what it says tomorrow. 
Yeh, I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Might be another 1 and done for me this yr. WNW at 10 - 15 knots. That's a guaranteed 2-4' ers.

Ha I love chaos.  Every time I go fishing it is chaos  [emoji1][emoji1]
You should have been with me last Saturday afternoon. We had a big male give us the okidoke at the net. Took out a rigger and a dipsey. Guy's in another boat thought we were waving mayday and came over to check on us. Fd up. Glad he checked though. Funny sh**t

On 9/5/2019 at 6:48 AM, floatfisher said:

Anyway nice fish!

Floatfisher you have a few options. Get a small drift/trolling bag and run off the back or 2 on the sides. You can also make these with buckets with holes in the bottoms. If you're worried or think these might pull the boat down too much look into a tolling plate to fit on your motor.

Edited by Firechief48

19 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

Locked and loaded guys 👍. Heading in a couple hours.

Hookedupf7 not sure where you're fishing. We fished thursday afternoon and friday morning and 120' range was loaded from big river to dunes. Most active where down 75-85'. Good luck

We are off the lake lowballer. Even with my 19 fter it was a tough one. Kids stomach couldn’t take it
That's to bad, I feel guilty for saying go for it. They changed forcasts every 12 hrs it seems. Dorian's back wind isn't helping, always a crap shoot. The disadvantages of being a low budget baller, speaking for myself. Be safe get the kid some breakfast.

Went out yesterday in our 17' starcraft.......NOAA wave forecast was for 1 foot or less, NOT TRUE !!!!!!  Easily 5 & 6 footers 8 miles out [emoji33]  Picked up 2 browns, no other hits.
Damb dude, I'm assuming you stayed in the kiddy pool at 50 for the browns. Anything over 3 is too hectic for me. From the pics being posted I'm guessing 3 to 5' rollers