Fat Guy in a Little Boat

1 hour ago, Low Baller said:

Damb dude, I'm assuming you stayed in the kiddy pool at 50 for the browns. Anything over 3 is too hectic for me. From the pics being posted I'm guessing 3 to 5' rollers

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nope, browns came in 100' as we were making our way out to 180'.....not a great game plan yesterday :shake:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Low Baller said:

Hello Chief, I have a planing fin on my 25 tiller. Helps alot, and actually slows me down slightly at idle. Biggest problem I run into is current. Any suggestions for the low budget guy that doesn't run a hawk. I try to tack the current depending on wind direction.

I myself try to troll with/against waves. Against the waves you shouldn't have a problem but with if you're going too fast the cheapest way is the bucket with holes. Keep an eye on the angle of the cables when you get a fish to hit and duplicate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wallychaser said:

Went out yesterday in our 17' starcraft.......NOAA wave forecast was for 1 foot or less, NOT TRUE !!!!!!  Easily 5 & 6 footers 8 miles out :o  Picked up 2 browns, no other hits.

Wallychaser you're not kidding. First light was beautiful but built fast up by the Dunes. I have a 23' and started back towards the river and the closer we got the better it was, layed downed nice again at least until 2;00 when we went in.

Keep at it Wallychaser, I'm just a Sept king chaser. Took alot of driving and disappointment. Learned a ton from a few guys willing to help the little guys. Some on this thread. Try dragging a pair of moonshine spoons on bottom marks. Worked well on the stagers last yr. Just thinking out loud, lol. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

1 hour ago, Low Baller said:

Keep at it Wallychaser, I'm just a Sept king chaser. Took alot of driving and disappointment. Learned a ton from a few guys willing to help the little guys. Some on this thread. Try dragging a pair of moonshine spoons on bottom marks. Worked well on the stagers last yr. Just thinking out loud, lol. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Hey, expand your horizons (past just September) ;) .  Early July and on can have flat water, SW winds and kings that don't have to be that far.  Oh and when you find them the aren't fussy!   I actually don't like the late august early sept kings as much....granted I fish them.  I did kind of like fishing the even closer fish in late sept last year.  you just have to be good with the combat crowd and fishing really early and / or really late.  

Hey, expand your horizons (past just September) [emoji6] .  Early July and on can have flat water, SW winds and kings that don't have to be that far.  Oh and when you find them the aren't fussy!   I actually don't like the late august early sept kings as much....granted I fish them.  I did kind of like fishing the even closer fish in late sept last year.  you just have to be good with the combat crowd and fishing really early and / or really late.  
You're right, last yr was great. I like to fish the gap between the inside combat and the fleet. Furthest I've gone is 180 out of Mexico. Guessing about 12 mls. Always making sure I maintain visual with other vessels in case of mechanical failure. Next weekend is anniversary so I'm trying get one run after that before archery. Hunting steel is my favorite.

3 minutes ago, Low Baller said:

You're right, last yr was great. I like to fish the gap between the inside combat and the fleet. Furthest I've gone is 180 out of Mexico. Guessing about 12 mls. Always making sure I maintain visual with other vessels in case of mechanical failure. Next weekend is anniversary so I'm trying get one run after that before archery. Hunting steel is my favorite.

If it helps.... earlier in the season the direction is usually more west (off the plant-ish) where the main lake current is and to get to 180 is def a lot less than 12 mi.  12 mi on a NW or WNW heading will get you to pretty darn deep (300+)  North while good Mid August and on is usually the dead sea earlier (for salmon).  Going north for mid August and later staging fish (ie North Dunes) is more like the 10 ish miles + from mexico.  but is usually more of a mid to late August thing....if that helps.   My early July to early august runs are max 7 miles, and at times 3-5 with a lot of that being a Northwest diagonal with a lot of protected south shore to duck toward if the predominant SW winds pick up.  Oh and if you like steelhead, I pick those up on my cheaters in July when I'm running a predominantly spoon pattern ;) .   Take it for what its worth...just more data.  I fish with lots of space and like it.   Boats around but nobody pressing you terribly.  

Good info for all. The whole purpose of this thread is not just a few bragging rights. It's geared to helping out the weekend warriors like myself. Cayuga is one of my favorites. Always looking for that bucket list Atlantic, and it's great practice for lowering the learning curve before trying to mix it up with the big dogs. An educated mariner make good allies, especially in the O when sh**t can get bad quick. Thanks

If it helps.... earlier in the season the direction is usually more west (off the plant-ish) where the main lake current is and to get to 180 is def a lot less than 12 mi.  12 mi on a NW or WNW heading will get you to pretty darn deep (300+)  North while good Mid August and on is usually the dead sea earlier (for salmon).  Going north for mid August and later staging fish (ie North Dunes) is more like the 10 ish miles + from mexico.  but is usually more of a mid to late August thing....if that helps.   My early July to early august runs are max 7 miles, and at times 3-5 with a lot of that being a Northwest diagonal with a lot of protected south shore to duck toward if the predominant SW winds pick up.  Oh and if you like steelhead, I pick those up on my cheaters in July when I'm running a predominantly spoon pattern [emoji6] .   Take it for what its worth...just more data.  I fish with lots of space and like it.   Boats around but nobody pressing you terribly.  

4 minutes ago, Low Baller said:

Good info for all. The whole purpose of this thread is not just a few bragging rights. It's geared to helping out the weekend warriors like myself. Cayuga is one of my favorites. Always looking for that bucket list Atlantic, and it's great practice for lowering the learning curve before trying to mix it up with the big dogs. An educated mariner make good allies, especially in the O when sh**t can get bad quick. Thanks

I fished a big boat for years with my father, took a break and started back taking a 13'er out 7 miles (on select days) before getting an 18 and now a 20 (aluminum).  So I totally understand where your coming from.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Great thread guys, I'm glad I started reading it.

Thanks for the tips on slowing my troll firechief.  I don't do any trolling but when I saw Lowballers rig it makes me think about it since I have a similar rig.  Not to mention I took my son trolling last year on my wife's cousins boat, 3dogs out of the Oak, he had a really good time!  I'm sure we would have fun out there on my boat....

Great thread guys, I'm glad I started reading it.

Thanks for the tips on slowing my troll firechief.  I don't do any trolling but when I saw Lowballers rig it makes me think about it since I have a similar rig.  Not to mention I took my son trolling last year on my wife's cousins boat, 3dogs out of the Oak, he had a really good time!  I'm sure we would have fun out there on my boat....

Go for it, but way the options of investing a grand or so into a small craft or if a bigger boat is doable. Just keep safety priority 1

I was going tomorrow but that looks iffy at best and friday looks even worse. Next tuesday and wednesday looks good so hopefyully I'll be out then.
Thanks chief, maybe I'll try to move a job forward and do the same. Maybe I'll bump into you one year. I'll look for the telltail stars and stripes on your bow! Never forget! Good luck.

I don't know when I've enjoyed a thread as much. You guys have the true spirit!:smile: i spent 22 years out there in my 13 ft. Whaler and your descriptions sure bring back some fond memories of life out in the shipping lanes chasing steelies etc.:lol: Despite what some folks may think small boats can "do it all" (and in some cases maybe even more):lol: Best of luck out there. Hey Low Baller as far as the water temp thing goes before I got my X4D I used the Fishawk TD and still use it for other things (one is for sale on here right now)....a lot better than nothing. I attached to a downrigger and recorded the temps down to 100 or so feet and then reviewed and set lines accordingly...gives you 5 ft interval temps anyway and a lot cheaper than the X series.

Edited by Sk8man