Fat Guy in a Little Boat

I don't know when I've enjoyed a thread as much. You guys have the true spirit![emoji2] i spent 22 years out there in my 13 ft. Whaler and your descriptions sure bring back some fond memories of life out in the shipping lanes chasing steelies etc.[emoji38] Despite what some folks may think small boats can "do it all" (and in some cases maybe even more)[emoji38] Best of luck out there. Hey Low Baller as far as the water temp thing goes before I got my X4D I used the Fishawk TD and still use it for other things (one is for sale on here right now)....a lot better than nothing. I attached to a downrigger and recorded the temps down to 100 or so feet and then reviewed and set lines accordingly...gives you 5 ft interval temps anyway and a lot cheaper than the X series.
Thanks buddy, I only post up in September when the salmon are reachable. This site is a wealth of information. It's nice that even us little guys can contribute. Just can't stress enough how important it is to think before you launch. Life lesson for me, lol. My worst experience was having a Coast Guard chopper fly over me with a crew member waving at me. Thought he was being friendly. About a 1/2 hr later waves went from 1-2 to 5-6 rollers. I was at 180. Made it back with bilge running and a prayer. So at my own expense, they're just fish! Fat guy needs a bigger boat!
I've used the TD for years now. Great tool. I'll be up tomorrow for the afternoon run,staying till Thurs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm thinking of making a run up out of mexico tomorrow afternoon for the afternoon/evening bite. Fellow small boater here, I have a 16ft starcraft. I have only fished lake O with a south wind. What do you think those north northwest winds at 6mph would do to the waves? Im debating on if it's worth trying to come up. I know typically with a nw wind it gets rough. 

sstout nothing on Lake Ontario is guaranteed but given the forecast and the fact that there are fish close to shore I think you could fish. You could put in at Pine Grove which is on the Big Salmon and cut down on your run. Good luck. 

Edited by Firechief48

If it all goes to sh**t, I'll be at All Seasons shopping. Lol

Made the decision and sent the boss an email, I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon. Most likely out of Mexico and heading towards the river. Blue and white starcraft. I'll be on the radio. Goodluck everyone and be safe [emoji106]

Here's what intell I can give from this afternoon (17th ). Alot of fish at the 50 in the morning. They moved out to 75-80 in the afternoon. Alot of guys killed it early but they had lock jaw for me. Going to hit early tomorrow. Good concentration of coho moving in with the normal mix of browns. Guys were parked in the estuary getting a few. Waves weren't horrible but got a little bumpy mid afternoon. 1-2s with the occasional 3 ftr. Just keep it tight. Good luck

I had decent screens in 45 to 60, but some of those might have been the browns like the one I caught. Weird thing was it hit a green mag spoon. I launched out of mexico. The ride over wasnt bad at 130 or 2, but by 4 it was starting to get a little sketchy for fishing solo. I took a couple 3 footers that came rolling through and decided to call it. Even though it was only a couple hours, it was great to be out. 

20190917_141434.jpg