Perch rigs?

JakeyBaby

I'm extremely green to the perch game but I'm diving in! Want to fish Erie for perch in the very near future (possibly this weekend). Is it worth trying this time of year? When are the best times to target them? Also, what are the go to setups right down to hook color if that Truely matters for catching perch? I know it's kind of a complex questions but looking for whatever and as much info anyone is willing to share and all info is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks.

It is a little early for consistent perch action in Erie. In the past, the entire month of August was great but in the past 6 yrs, I have not seen any real action until October. I would probably head out of the Cat and head straight out to 53-54’ set up and wait. The perch this time of year will come in smaller pods and you will have to be ready to pick off a few before they move on.  Later on, the pods will be bigger and will hang around longer. Just use a simple drop shot rig. 3/4 oz. sinker and two hooks about 6” and 18” above. If you can find Niagaras that would be great however, Golden shiners work too.  Sometimes fatheads work, but I have not had much luck with them..  if you see other boats out there anchored up, watch them. And if you see gulls sitting on the water near a boat watch him closely.  The gulls are picking off any small perch boaters might try to release and float belly up.  Spot lock on a minn kota is highly recommended.

good luck

• Like 1

Jakey Baby you lucked out getting that info. Jim is half Perch and half Walleye and you can take his information to the bank (good as gold):smile:

• Like 1

I use all ultra-lite rods both graphite and composites as I like the feel through them as well as the easy handling in the boat of the shorter 5 1/2 ft rods but most of my buddies use much longer (6 12-7 1/2 ft rods) as they lend themselves to casting farther yet offering sensitivity at the tip. It is really a personal preference issue but should be based on being able to feel the light bites and mouthing that occurs with perch and walleyes. Being able to detect them is what separates the men from the boys:lol:. As an example Fenwicks are real good sensitive rods but they are expensive and buying the most expensive rod isn't always a guarantee that it is best for what you are doing. To a degree you can assess the "feel" of things right in the store of what seems to suit you but being able to feel the most minute change in the line transmitted through the rod is what you are looking for and you pretty much have to have it set up to fully with the line you are using determine that. Sensitivity is the keyword. Once you have a sensitive rod you need to know what to do with it as well and even minor variations in set-ups and techniques or movements of the line or bait can make all the difference in results. This is true for both jigging and fishing natural bait. You'll gain this best through experimentation and actual experience and practice. Youtube videos may give you a little head start idea-wise but actual experience is the best teacher.

Edited by Sk8man

What les is saying is true for the finger lakes but you can be fishing anywhere from 55-80’ in Erie straight down.  I would recommend the most sensitive tip rod you have between 6-7’. Do not use straight braid. I’ll use 10-15 lb braid with a 6’ section of 10lb fleurocarbon. Do not go lighter because there are monster size silver bass with sharp gill plates that would cut lighter line. Keep tight to the bottom with just enough tension to tighten the line. As soon as you see them on the graph, they will hit. I slowly lift the rod and get them to hit that way but my fishing buddy just sits and watches the rod. We wind up catching the same amount.  Spring perch fishing is a little different and I’ll explain that, if you like ,ext March 

Les is right about the sensitive rod separating the great catches from the average.  Thanks to another member here, Gator, I got back in to rod building.  I have specialized rods made for perch in Erie and the fingerlakes.   

Edited by Pequod1

Guess you can tell who has fished Erie lately and who hasn't :lol: and I sure forgot about the silver bass.....guess I'd better stick to the Fingers giving advice:lol: Jim is probably more OCD than I am for the perch and walleyes at least....:smile:

I was wondering when the gator would come sniffing around:lol: It is reputed that he can smell that KFC chicken miles away out on the ice too:lol: