Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrymny

Creek Salmon eat Skein, but staging Salmon Don't bite

I have a friend that catches tons of salmon in the creeks and rivers on Skein. In fact two years ago he took me to the falls on the Genesee and we caught about 6 or 7 huge Kings on Skein. So why do I have such trouble getting a staging Salmon to hit, as I troll back and forth through a screen covered with salmon, trying everything in my arsenal? Usually this results in nothing but frustration. I'm wondering if if should just drift over them with Skein!

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I catch them on skein off the Charlotte pair while also casting Cleo’s

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

• Like 1

Andy Todd of OMNRF suggests jigging for them!

Have you tried running the big plugs like j-Plugs through them!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I trib fish for kings a lot as I have a cottage on one . 

I fish either a j 13 rapala or a mag hot n tot  among others lures . The plug bite is usually first light . After that it's Skein. 

Last year I caught a hand full on plugs , it was mostly skein. 

I fish a lot of bass and pike and when I come to a spot I fan cast a spinner of some sort , then jig . Sometimes they hit the spinner bait . Or sometimes I can't get a hit on one and it's all jigs . 

They are either in a chasing mood or they aren't . 

I feel it's the same with the salmon . 

Edited by HB2

On 8/30/2019 at 11:08 AM, jimski2 said:

Fishing the wild hatched fish of Alaska possessing salmon eggs is illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good bless you jimski ......but man are you prone to rambling lol. :lol:

• Like 1

Thing slowly trolled but lots of 

aggravating/ triggering wild action. This time of year they are attracted to skein scent so skein on a j-plug or kwikfish/maglips. Hot’n tots, big lipped stickbaits with upgraded hooks etc etc. 

Yes I've run j plugs, Kwik fish, u name it.

Andy Todd of OMNRF suggests jigging for them!

Have you tried running the big plugs like j-Plugs through them!

10 hours ago, garrymny said:

But the jigging, now that would be a riot if they hit!

A lot of the guys trolling around the piers with J plugs are not fishing for the hit, 5 mph right up the channel in the Genesee is called " Power Trolling", and is as likely to get you one hooked in one end as the other.  Some contend that fish caught on egg sacks off the piers are just running through the line.  If the fish is hooked in the mouth it is legal,  and I can't see why they would be any less likely to hit a jig than another bait.  The Canadians often approach things differently, Andy says it is great to be able to get the kings on light line and tackle rather than an ocean rig, so he jigs for them while they are out in the lake.  It is my sense that the Canadians have enough sense to not bother with soft fleshed, low eating quality, dark salmon anyway.

The “alleged sport fishing of Sockeye Salmon” on the Kensington River and Russian River systems is still snagging if that there it is an acceptable practice. A triple X heavy hook highlited with fluorescent feathers and a rubber sinker are bounced in the rapid currents to allow the free line to enter the mouth of migrating sockeye salmon where the heavy hook is impaled in the mouth area. This is also known as “lining” snag.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 9/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, Gill-T said:

Good bless you jimski ......but man are you prone to rambling lol. :lol:

I suspect that what jimski meant was that skein is so productive that they've outlawed it in Alaska. The reason I understand this is because I, too, am a man prone to rambling :lol:

Maybe someone should make Skein scent spray we can spray our lures with. My local Archery shop guy said they bite skein in the tributaries not because they are eating but to kill the offspring of competition.

I have caught a few  kings on eggs under a float  this past week and a few had the hook down its throat . 

I have learned in the past few years doing this that if you don't have the right eggs cured the right way you will catch little or nothing . 

The fish may have lost their appetite, but they haven't lost their sense of smell , sight or taste . 

If they see something that looks and smells  good,  and tastes good , they might take a bite . 

How many times have we eaten something when we are not hungry because it smelled and looked good ? 

HB2 that is a very insightful post.   no matter how full i am if a potato chip floats in front of my face i probably am gonna eat it.  unless of course i'm dodging chunks of lead flying at me from all directions.