copper for fleas

has anyone ever tried using copper on their downriggers to combat the fleas? I know this would be expensive but you could have a couple poles spooled with these copper setups when these fleas get really bad. might be crazy but just a thought.150 ft lengths  should be all you would need.

Copper is to brittle would kink and break in the releases. Also copper would greatly increase blow back. I use 50 lb berkley big game have minimal fleas. The heavyweight lines the fleas can't get a hold of it. I splice in a section of the heavy mono when the fleas are bad. I really don't think copper would work for the application you are wanting to use it. Also be expensive flea deterrent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have not tried copper but there are still a few guys pulling copper for lakers so someone should know. I switched all my diver rods over to 20lb fireline, because I hate wire, and seem to get less fleas. Last week my rigger rods with mono down 80 feet were loaded with fleas and my divers had only a few out 200 feet. I put 560 feet of 30lb mono and then 375 feet (125 yards ) of fireline. On Cayuga I have never had to get to the mono. I think it may be too thin and slippery for the fleas to hang on to but am not sure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app