Oneida questions

So last year I bought a 21 foot crestliner commander thinking I would be able to fish Ontario anytime I want . Well surprise not so much . Its uncomfortable in 3 footers . Especially with two kids . Its fishable just not so fun . I would like to get more use out of the boat and start trolling oneida. I am just wondering how I need to approach that. What tackle do I need and where do I fish. I pretty much have everything imaginable to Target all species but any help would be awesome. I figured getting my two young Sons on some walleyes would keep their interest and sometimes they get bored with the on and off days on Lake Ontario. Also Oneida is a much more feasible and comfortable day trip for us. Thanks to all

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Set up in line sideplaners with leadcore line and stickbaits like rapalas or worm harnesses. Rubber band light sinkers to your line if you have no leadcore rigs. Bottom bounce heavy sinkers or dipsey divers off the side of the boat. This should get you started to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 8/31/2019 at 7:21 PM, jimski2 said:

Set up in line sideplaners with leadcore line and stickbaits like rapalas or worm harnesses. Rubber band light sinkers to your line if you have no leadcore rigs. Bottom bounce heavy sinkers or dipsey divers off the side of the boat. This should get you started to begin with.

Yup he pretty much nailed it. Inline planer boards, some diving stickbaits, bottom bouncers (1-3oz), crawler harnesses, slow death rigs, jigging raps and blade baits. That's basically everything I use to fish Oneida for walleye. I kept my 18ft aluminum boat specifically to fish Oneida and will be keeping the 23ft glass boat docked up at Ontario next season. I did manage to get out fairly regularly with the 18ft on Ontario though. 

Yup he pretty much nailed it. Inline planer boards, some diving stickbaits, bottom bouncers (1-3oz), crawler harnesses, slow death rigs, jigging raps and blade baits. That's basically everything I use to fish Oneida for walleye. I kept my 18ft aluminum boat specifically to fish Oneida and will be keeping the 23ft glass boat docked up at Ontario next season. I did manage to get out fairly regularly with the 18ft on Ontario though. 
Thanks to all . I perfer the big boards but I do have a few inline. As for getting out on lake out . I have only been up 3 times this season and once was a a blow off . I'm still trying to completely figure out the boat . I need to get my 150 to troll down a bit because kicker dont steer well in the windy conditions.

Thanks to all . I perfer the big boards but I do have a few inline. As for getting out on lake out . I have only been up 3 times this season and once was a a blow off . I'm still trying to completely figure out the boat . I need to get my 150 to troll down a bit because kicker dont steer well in the windy conditions.

Slap a Minn Kota with ipilot on the bow for steering [emoji106]

Buy a remote steering trolling motor like a terrova and you will be all set.  Forget spreads and techniques!  It's first and foremost about boat control...always!  I fish more wind with 9 lines and no mate than is possible on big water and I control the boat no problem.  When you have 4 and 5 footers I'm fishing the same wind on 2 footers...  Once you have boat control then worry about spreads...and you don't need core or sinkers or weights necessarily.  A couple plain ole 10 lb mono rods and diving plugs is all you NEED to get started.  I caught a ton of fish starting out there with 3 rods, 3 rod holders and a handful of plugs...oh and 2 yellow birds!