copper length??

Been thinking about getting a copper set up for a fews years now and was just wondering if the 400' is a good place to start realizing I haven't learned what "burn" is from reeling in a 300' wire dipsies and will probably "have to have" a 600' copper set up sooner or later.... Thanks in advance.

You can get a 600ft copper set-up and mark the copper with heat shrink tubing every 50 or 100 feet. I think Atommik sells reels already set-up with the copper marked. Copper catches fish!

Good luck!

Brian(Goin Deep)

The 600' is a monster + you will not be able to use it on a board (the 300' is nice that way), just started messing with them late last summer and you might want to start out thinking in terms of getting both a 300' and a 600', so don't go hog wild on rod & reel for one and not be able to get the other. Just a thought.

We run 600' of copper off of our boards all the time Chowder. I'd also go with a 600' and mark it every 50' and then you can use it at whatever length you want. You'll probably want to start by running it down the chute and then work your way into using it on the boards.

Chowder,

I think Bill is talking about using big boards. We have not had any problems ruuning copper off the big boards. I agree with most above and recommend getting a 600' set up and marking every 50 or 100 feet. You can run whatever length you want and don't need as many setups.

Jeff

Chowder we tried to run a 600 off an inline and were unsuccessful. First few times the release would not hold and when we rubber banded the release tighter the board pulled back way to far. We usually run ours off the big boards as stated above, but with fishing being as bad as it was on the east end last year we had plenty of time to screw around with other set ups. I would definitely buy the 600 marked though as last year our best length was 450, and having the copper marked makes the 600 a very versatile rig.

Is there a chart for copper use in depth ?

How many feet will equal how deep ?

I got my heart attack rod and reel 600' copper 250' of backing with 100' leader. What is the proper leader lea nth for a leader. One thing I can say is I have caught plenty of bass on it, and my arms are getting bigger. What a work out, need an elect reel :lol:

Is there a chart for copper use in depth ?

How many feet will equal how deep ?

I got my heart attack rod and reel 600' copper 250' of backing with 100' leader. What is the proper leader lea nth for a leader. One thing I can say is I have caught plenty of bass on it, and my arms are getting bigger. What a work out, need an elect reel :lol:

.037 dia copper (45lb) will get u down aprox 22ft per 100ft of copper.. speed, lure will vary yer depth alil as well

As Nemeis stated we have bypassed the 600' and just added weight to get to the same depth without the added length of copper. I have a 400' 45lb copper with 4ozs of weight at the leader will get down to the 120' area. Going to try the dive bombs this year/, and I do pull the 400 with extra weight on the walleye board. I second or third the setups from ATOMMIK, Tom is a geat guy and will answer all your questions. Come on Spring.

Rich

Copper is great - just one more thing....

Make sure when you're geting used to it and reeling it in at the end of a day, have someone experienced reel it in under tension (typically your thumb). Otherwise, get ready for a nice reel tangle and backlash when you're letting it out the next time out.

- Chris

I thought that part of the attractiveness of the 600' was the long setback which enables the fish to "see" a single bait isolated from the rest of the spread. When you crank the copper down with a weight or dive bomb don't you lose some of that effect? (Just curious- not much experience with this copper stuff!)

I also was of the opinion that the effectiveness of the copper in addition to being out and away from the boat, is that the copper will "swim" or move up and down from being pulled by a board or boat, and side to side in current as an example, and adding misdirection to the lure, thus giving it better action? By adding weight at the leader, i think you would kill that action? why not snap the weight at the backing knot, you will still get the added benefit of the additional weight for depth, but the action of the copper remains.. just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing as Chowder and OTL. Looking at core depths on The Oak random tips, they say add the heavy weight to the start of the leader not the backing. If you were to add a heavy weight to the end wouldn't that essentially be a thumper-type rig. Wouldn't it be better to add the snapweight to the backing like a 50/50 snapweight set-up and let the copper or core trail behind?

BH you put the clip on weight nearest the boat to keep a clean spoon and still get the extra "sway" action of wire or lead 200 to 300 ft back .the weight or diver just allows you to achieve a deeper deptr without letting out (time consuming) and reeling in (arm breaking) 600 ft plus line

Should I just sell my 600', I used it 1 time? If the 300' can truly produce the same results with a snap weight or dive bomb why keep one around?

Do most people run spoons with copper or are flasher/flies used a lot too?