Lead Core Suggestions?

It's time to replace my lead core line. I'm considering Sufix 832 or Stealthcore. I like the 27# test lead core but the 832 is only offered in 12# & 18# with claims that it is 70% stronger, dives 30% deeper, and has 3 times the abrasion resistance of other lead core lines out there. Is this true or a marketing gimmick? I know Sufix is a reputable brand. What about the Sufix Performance line?

Just looking for opinions from those of you who have personal experience with certain brands that you use. Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Thanks for the link! How difficult is it to tie 30# Big Game mono onto the micro-lead? That's what I use as a leader. I haven't jumped on the flouro bandwagon yet because mono has been working just fine for my 50 years of fishing.

Edited by Todd in NY

I use 20 lb fluoro leaders for Lake O and 12 lb for the Finger Lakes and #8 Spro swivels so I don't use knots directly from leadcore to leader. My thought is that  it is possible to tie depending on knot but question is : Will it get through the eyes and tip of rod? Fluoro tends to be a smaller diameter than most mono. 

• Thanks 1

The #8 will go through the eyelets and tips of most rods and it is rated at 50 lbs. They also make a #10 which I believe is 35 lbs. but it is more difficult to tie knots with it.

The Palomar should work and I'm sure there are others that will also work.  I use the clinch knot with 7 turns on the fluoro end and 5 on the leadcore end and cinch down carefully and repeatedly  and wet and then check them closely. A spot of instant glue can also be used on the knot. Never had one fail yet.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Thanks 1

The only problem will probably be trying to insert the mono through the sheathing of the microlead - not sure as I don't do it that way with the micro lead just the standard stuff in the past. Give it a try though as you can always go other ways if it doesn't pan out:smile:

• Like 1

I like the microlead too. Couldn’t get the leader in to tie a Willis so just took 6” of lead out and tied a uni-to-uni just like any other leader to braid. Been going strong for 3 years now.

I’m sure any of the standard leader knots would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Thanks 1

That is another good thing to try. The sheathing on about any leadcore is what actually gives it it's strength the lead itself isn't very strong and not intended for that purpose anyway.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...