Attaching Transducer mounting plate with out drilling holes?

Erbyjoe

I was wondering if any one has a suggestion on Attaching a plastic mounting plate on the transom of my boat with out drilling hole. I was thinking of a water proof sealant or something you would use for putting around windows outside.Or some kind of adhesive. I have to move my transducer to the other side of the Main motor because of air interfering with the ducer :@ but I would rather not drill holes. There is cleaner water coming thru on the kicker side of the boat I think the swim platform is causing air which is screwing up my Furuno 620 screen. Any help would be great thanks in advance

I attached a transducer in a shoot through the hull installation in this fashion in my kayak.

Find a location where you want to mount it.

I used a bag of beans as a weight to hold it down and keep it from moving as the silicone cured.

You do not want it to move at all, as the silicone cure as this can cause air bubbles to form.

Clean, and sand the hull where you want to attach the transducer.

Then clean the hull and transducer with alcohol.

Use a good silicone. Most of the kayak guys out here do not use epoxy, there are no second chances that way... ;)

With silicone, if you need to move it, just use a putty knife carefully so as not to scratch the transducer, and just re-apply.

Apply silicone to the bottom of the transducer liberally, and in a manor that will avoid bubbles.

If you see bubbles, clean and re-apply.

Press down firmly and with a slight twist to seat it.

Carefully put your weight on.

In the cold weather you guys have there, maybe a drop light on the area to help keep it warm might be a good idea too.

I did that in the summer here on the other coast, and had no problems with the curing.

Good luck!

PM your phone # if you want and I can call you.

Jeff

Gambler I never thought of duck Tape :o but was trying to see how I could Tie wrap it on :clap: .

Musky Your a funny man :yes: Maybe I could rent you and Ray to sit in the front :clap: But I don't think that would work I need my motor in the water also :lol::lol::lol:

Jeff Thanks for the info But my Transducer is not a thru hull it mounts on the transom of My Lund It's a mounting plate that is normal mounted on the back of the boat with screws that I'm asking about. I have one already on the starboard side I need one on the port side but I really don't want to drill holes.

Erwin: At 50 mph Glue, epoxy or silicon isn't going to do it even at lower speed's. Bite the bullet and mount the plate with 2 or 4 screws or thu bolt's. Life caulk em good and be done with it. Just my opinion. Every body has one. ;)

Hank :o ERWIN :o It's come down to ERWIN I'm hurt After all I have said about RAY this is how you treat me :rock: You don't think that the ducer will pop up before the plate comes off the back? I hate to put any more holes in the boat My first boat was like swiss cheese I don't want my Lund to look like that. If that what it takes I will do it :worried: But I won't be happy about it :sweating:

What about taking a piece if Starboard and mounting it where you might have some thrubolts already. Extend it long enought so it reaches the edge of the hull/ transom area. Mount your Ducer there. No extra holes. Maybe the kicker is thru bolted and you can get a piece to go next to the kicker. Main engine a outboard? Thats thru bolted!! Swim Platform???

I would use 5200 and seal the starboard to the transom if you think it is long enought to flex off the transom if h20 pushes against it while running. Or just cut it short so the h2o passing under the hull cant catch it.

Brad those are also some options it's the swim platform that is causing the air bubbles when I troll I can see a little tornado right by the ducer so when I'm going in to the waves I lose the screen on my 620 I have been trying to fix this for 3 years so this is my next step I can't look at the boat its stored away until april at a barn at a fair ground out here. i was hoping it would have been an easy fix but I guess not :@

Hank Ok I will let it go just this once ;) But why would a glass be different my boat is painted where the plate will go?

John just remeber the holic I lost count of the # of holes we put in her :lol:

I have a plate mounted directly to the transom with, I'm assuming, some type of epoxy, definitely not screwed on. It's a glass boat so I'm interested to hear what the differences between glass and aluminum would be with that. Considering aluminum for the next boat.

DAN

Hey,Erwin or Erin,

stop being such a worry wort.Get the drill out and put some holes in that boat.All you need is two holes to mount the plate.Use a high quality polyurethane sealant like 3M 5200 or Sikaflex,to seal the holes.Silicone,(even the marine stuff) isn't the best for under water sealing.

The other thing is that all the plastic transom plates,along with cutting boards and Starboard type products,are made out of Polyethylene.No adhesives(other than some exotic industrial ones) are capable of effectively gluing it to metal.

Use a good quality polyurethane and thru bolt it,it will not leak.

***Do me and Bob have to come over and do it while your not looking ?***

-- PS.... I still haven't got a hold of Jimmy,I'll give you a call,sit by the phone.

I used a Cabela's Transducer Mounting Plate, item wz-02-0106, on my Crestliner. It is through bolted with stainless steel bolts, washers and locking nuts that are well above the water line. Also the board is bedded in silicon bedding compound, available from a marine supply store, to keep the lower underwater section tight against the hull. I have 3 transducers mounted on it. It has worked well for the past two years of use.

Thanks guys when it comes to drilling Hole I will agree I'm a wuse :lol: I will probly put 2 more holes in the Boat but am not going to like it ;(

John your a funny guy but :*:mooning:

I don't think you could get bob away from the donuts anyway :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Let me know What Jimmy and Karen says Thanks.

I will give you a call next week :lol:

• 4 months later...

We use a uniquely formulated adhesive for permanently mounting our engineered transducer mounting systems to the boat transom. It is designed and packaged specifically to be highly effective for the duty which could accompany high speed boat use. Our adhesive will provide a permanent bond and will perform exceedingly well on both aluminum and gel coat on fiberglass following our simple instructions. "Over-the-counter" adhesives typically will not have the strength to perform adequately in demanding marine environments. It's important to note, that adhesives and the various substrates that one might be seeking to adhere, must must have specific specific surface energies (Dynes levels) for them to make an effective bond.

20732279.th.jpg

• 1 month later...

if it's an outboard --mount ducer to a 3/16 x 2in plate that is as long as your transum. 'C' clamp to top of transum or bend in a flat "u" shape and drill and tap for a clamping rod..ran this on a 16' starcraft for several seasons with no problems.

I think that two stainless bolts or screws would look better that a glob of dried gunk that didn't work!! Stuck to the back of my boat. Just a thought.