Rain Gear, What Do You Use?

I have decent rain gear but it makes moving around the boat a little (maybe a lot) cumbersome. It fits like a straight jacket and doesn't flex much at all. I think it's thick PVC. Sometimes I'm more wet from sweat than from the rain!

I've noticed the good flexible rain gear is pretty expensive, so I've just stuck with my uncomfortable rain gear. Besides, when there's rain in the forecast, it's usually accompanied by high winds and big waves, which are not a good combination. That makes me wonder if good rain gear is worth the money, or if I should just stay home on those rainy days.

Got any suggestions from personal experience?

I had a construction grade rainsuit that I purchased years ago at a construction supply outlet.  Lasted 25 years and did the job well for the money spent.  had a lot of vents so it wasn't like throwing a tarp on.  Have tried to find another but to no avail so have made do in the meantime.  Gortex suits and the like are expensive and I am told worth it, sometimes you can find those at an off season price somewhere.  

• Like 1

There are various grades of Frogg Toggs - the top graded ones are very nice but they are well over $100 ( I have the Toadz?)but in some things at least you get what you pay for and this may be one of those things. I think it pays to get a quality set no matter what you buy.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I agree Les, rain gear is in that category of getting what you pay for. I want something that is comfortable, breathable and made to last. It gives me something to research during the off season so I am ready for next spring. I'm not looking for top of the line stuff, but a quality set at a reasonable price.

I wear a pair of rubber Carhartt bibs. Durable, waterproof and I can get them dirty as hell and just hose them off and not cringe every time. I might wear a little nicer jacket, but not $100's nicer. My current jacket is a rubber coated Columbia raincoat with a tight hood and cuffs. I want waterproof, cleanable and simply dry. I've had goretex, etc. and don't feel it is necessary for sitting on a boat. The tight cuffs are nice to slow down the wet sleeve syndrome.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I find it ironic that people have spent 10's of thousands on boats and etc, but fret over paying $300 for a good rainsuit. ( Kinda like the people in the $2000 box seats at the yankees game with the $2 plastic poncho) . I like my Cabelas Guidewear very much

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RodBuster said:

I find it ironic that people have spent 10's of thousands on boats and etc, but fret over paying $300 for a good rainsuit. ( Kinda like the people in the $2000 box seats at the yankees game with the $2 plastic poncho) . I like my Cabelas Guidewear very much

I agree, which is why I like rolmops comment about using rain gear for more than just fishing. I need good rain gear for outside chores around the house more than I need it for fishing.

Bass Pro 100 mph+ and Frabill F4 Cyclone bib/jacket combos for fishing all day in the rain. The later came from Fieldsupply.com at ~75% off, but that was years ago. They still have some odd sizes. Also, good ole' Cabela's packable GoreTex for travel. No matter how breathable, there's nothing that will keep you "dry" when you're sweating profusely. In that case, your best bet it to wick the moisture away from your skin with a good underlayer, and wear a lightweight shell on top.

• Like 1