Anyone ever titled a boat in New York older than 87?

I had my Sea Ray Amberjack sold but the guys bank backed out at the last minute because there is no title for pre 87 boats. Just wondering if anyone here has gotten one before?

The people I have spoke to at DMV arent really sure what to say! Suprise!! Suprise!!

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Along time ago mid 80s I think I did a 1964 boat. DMV told me all I needed was a bill of sale and a tracing of the hull

ID number. Could have changed by now.

Brother's duck boat about two years ago, no title. Bill of sale with description and verified hull ID number.

You'll have to contact local law enforcement for the hull ID verification - letter stating the hull ID appears on the boat. I'd contact the NYSP or ENCON Police, local LE may have no idea what you're talking about. I verified it for my brother and I had no idea until he was told by DMV to have it verified.

If it's on a trailer w/no title that is actually even more of a pain. You basically have to have it registered as a "home made" trailer??

DAN

I went through a similar experience last year. I was selling a 85 16' to a friend and spent two months battling with the DMV. I was told to do a title search, which was returned, they set they couldn't do that on a boat older than 87. I can't remember all of the steps that we went through but what we finally were told was that the registration for the boat is considered the title and it is transferable. I had to re-register the boat in my name and then transfer it to him. If you know the person that you are dealing with maybe you can transfer it to him and then "sell" him the trailer for the cost of the boat.

Sorry I was just reading the original post. If this is an issue with a bank giving a loan on a pre 1987 boat I don't think there is anything that will make them happy as far as a boat loan goes. Because there is no title they can not hold a lien on the boat. The buyer would have to apply for a personal loan or a home equity loan and use that to finance the boat. Banks would be reluctant to finance a 20 year old boat as it is.