Canandaigua Canandaigua south end 9-3-19

Sk8man

I was thinking about going to Lake O solo this morning but my wife said " why don't you fish out here and I can go along". Of course I said "yes" (for a whole lot of reasons:lol:). We got a late start and were on the water about 10 AM (quit at 4PM) . I used 2 downriggers cheated and a 300 copper trolling first the east side down to Pelican Point then across by Wegman's  and down the west side. Caught a total of 7 lakers despite fishing for rainbows. None was over 4 pounds. The interesting thing to me is that 6 came on the cheaters and one came on the 300 copper and my trolling speed was from 3.1 to 3.57 and nearly all came from 3.3 plus.....I couldn't get away from them; one even hit a magnum spoon:smile: No sign of rainbows today. Saw a lot of bait at the south end. I didn't run any deeper than about 6o feet over whatever (the 300 copper may have been running higher than usual too given the speed). Marked a lot of fish in the 40-60 ft range thinking they were probably rainbows but the ones that hit at least were lakers. I didn't put down the probe to check temps but surface was 74. Usually about now the rainbows are out in the middle portion of the lake so we fished mostly 140- 210 and most fish marked were in that range as was the bait. Strange day!:lol: Quite a few weeds out there, a lot of algae pooling up in long bands throughout the south end both sides and the fleas were there but "doable"

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Yeah Jim I think the browns are a notch up the line on the intelligence scale. At least you didn't have all the weeds stuck on a prop coming into the ramp:lol:

I had the same thing happen on Cayuga last weekend. Was fishing for lls, speed was 3.0 to 3.3 and the cheater was at roughly 25 ft (the rigger was set at 50). The rod went off and started pulling drag, and I thought wow nice salmon. Nope, big laker. It was up high and fast. Weird.

Went out on the north end of Canandaigua Lake Thursday morning for a few hours. Found some nice lakers jigging in 75 to 80 foot of water. Largest was an eight pounder. Saw a huge mark on my fish finder in 45 foot of water as I was paddling back to shore. Did not figure that lake trout would be in that shallow I let my jig down anyway and to my surprise up comes a huge smallmouth bass doing a beautiful aerial dance of two foot or more. He threw the jig once airborne  but it was a wonderful surprise and great to see.  Green algae was scattered with white foam covering the area of the lake I was in for awhile. All in all a beautiful morning on the lake.

• Like 1