How Do You Spool Your Reels With New Line?

I've seen all kinds of gizmos and gadgets on the market that claim to help you put new line on your reels without line twists.

How do you put new line on your levelwind reels? I'm talking about mono, flouro, braid, lead core, copper, and wire dipsy line. What gadget, Gizmo or technique have you found that absolutely works with all line types?

I take a pencil , put the spool on , and pinch both ends between my feet .

Or 

I take a screwdriver and put it thru the spool and clamp it straight up in my  vice if I'm in my basement . Put a piece of cardboard between the spool and jaws of vice . 

Primitive methods I have been using  for years . 

Both spin  and casting reels 

• Like 1

My wife probably thinks that is just one step below vacuuming it happens so often:lol: Once they learn to use the right pressure on the sides it makes the training all worthwhile:lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Haha 1

I strip all of the old line off the my reels with a dowel and a drill.  I put the dowel in the drill and tape the line the dowel.  Run the drill until the spool is empty.  Putting it back on, I use my 9 year old son to hold the spool on a dowel.  He needs to earn his keep!

• Like 4

To keep it from twisting you have to put it on the reel the same way its coming off the spool. ex: ( on a level wind reel it comes on the reel on top of the spool so you have to make sure that it is coming off the spool on the top.  with a spinning reel you have to pull the line off the side of the spool to keep twisting to a minim. if its going on the reel clockwise it should be coming off the spool clockwise also.  put new line on as tight as you can get it on any reel.   that's all I have on spooling reels. :) 

• Like 1

I have one of these I got for xmas last year. It has worked great for me so far, the part where the spool attaches comes out and you can slide in a levelwind reel in the same spot. For removal I use a dowl or old bolt in a drill. I think these are like $20-$30 which is well worth in imo.

Berkley_Portable_Line_Spooling_Station_BLMPLSS2_alt3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

This works great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have this set-up and it's awesome! I had the spooler for years, and bought the one for the reel/drill this Winter. When you're doing 6-10 reels the drill is nice!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! With my son out of the house now, I've had to resort to puting the spool under my Great Lakes Planers tightening knob on the dual rod holders. But it only works if the spool has a center hole big enough for the 1/2" bolt.

Otherwise, it was always my son holding the spool on a pencil or screwdriver, with gloves on so he could apply some resistance.

• 3 months later...

If you really want to be confused about spooling a spinning go to You Tube . As a muskie and more recently a salmon troller 98% of my fishing is done with conventional reels. So much so I was still using my 50 year old Dam Quick 110,220,and 330 reels which I feel are as good as anything I see in the stores today at something more than I paid for my first car.I had always spooled these reels with the line coming off the side of the spool. I recently bought a Diawa baitrunner reel with the idea that if I got to the marina and it was too rough to venture out I would try to catch carp. This was something I had never done and found the idea of sitting in a lawn chair with a sling shot rather appealing. Imagine my surprise to see a diagram of spooling the way I had always done it with an X through it and telling you to spool with the pencil method.So now I trek to you tube and see some of the arguments pro and con

Coming off the side of the spool only works if the spool is the same diameter as the reel

You want to put the line on the reel with a twist so it untwists when it comes off the reel

Some European carp guys soak the spool for an hour in warm not hot water spool the reel then walk out the line more than a cast length stretch the line then reel it back on the reel then some resoak the spool before fishing.

So I've decided just put the line on the reel any way you can because as soon as you get a decent fish you're going to get excited and reel against the drag and twist the damn line.. Starting to know why I like conventional reels.

• Like 1