Suggestions for I-Bay?

Hello good people of LOU, I’ll be headed out of Irondequoit this evening for the sun down bite. Any suggestions what depth to start? I’ll be running 4 dipsies with spoons (started trolling this year and still collecting all the gear). I’d rather not go super far offshore as I’m fishing out of a 22ft center console.

Thanks for the help!

Cory

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Did exactly as suggested. Started at 270 FOW and trolled south. Didn’t get all 4 lines in until about 220 FOW. Set outside dipsies at 260 2.5 and inside dipsies at 220 0.5.

Hooked into something big at 130 FOW. Fought hard for a few minutes but broke off. I was coaching a friend who hasn’t used a star drag before and I think I may have had his drag set to tight. The spoon was bent to heck upon reeling in (see pic).

Circled back and had another hit at around 130 but she broke off as I grabbed the rod.

Fish were stacked from 130 to 80 on the way in but couldn’t get any takers (see pic). I tried spicing it up a bit by throttling back and forth.

Is this typical for this time of season? When does the season wrap up?

Thanks for any advice. My goodness this sport is addicting!
IMG_8396.JPGIMG_8395.JPGIMG_8394.JPG

• Like 1

4 dipsy with only spoons and getting bit is a success. Stinks to lose good fish. Looks like a typical staging king screen or Lakers (do you know temp on bottom?). Remember as their staging they cut way back on feeding. Basically your trying to get an aggressive reaction out of them. This is why J plugs, and FF are so good. As for the spoon getting destroyed, drags way too tight [emoji6]. A staging hardened jawed king hitting a stinger with a tight drag will give you those results 99% of the time. Staging kings are the most frustrating to get to bite and with limited options that’s extra tricky. Riggers also help a lot because you can better dial in exact depth to really annoy them. I’ll run a rigger with FF right in their face and stage the second rigger 10/15 feet above that with a longer lead. A lot of trial and error .

Thanks for all the feedback. Riggers are in the plan for next year.. I purchased some older cannons, just need to wire them up over the winter.

I’ll see about setting up FF and/or J plugs for the end of the season. Do you use a flasher with the j-plugs?

Not sure of bottom temp - no fish hawk... yet...

• Like 1

Given your dipsy were out 265 in that depth those had to be kings tearing up your gear. J plugs run like a spoon, then you have Flashers with Flys. If your local maybe I could get you out if your available. We still got a couple weeks to go