Fishing trip

EsoxAC3

Hello. Wondering if anyone might have some recommendations for oneida. I do a weekend fishing trip every fall with a bunch of guys I used to work with. We usually fish the st Lawrence but the water conditions this year prevented the boat from going in. So we are trying our luck at oneida since its closer for everyone. Launching from Cleveland. Targeting smallies and walleye.... but really anything that bites. Any direction is very much appreciated as oneida is very new to us all. Thank you and tight lines.

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We fished Oneida for a few hours on Labor day weekend. It was a bit windy and we didn't do too well. The word is the lake is full of Gizzard Shad this time of year so there is plenty of forage to compete with. That said, look for birds diving over schools of bait fish. The smallies will be in the same area. Also try the windward side of points. The lake is very weedy this time of year but it's full of fish so you just need to find them and convince them to bite!    

• 4 months later...

My first fishing trips were with my dad going for blowfish (puffer). I was very young, perhaps 6 or 7 and have few memories of it other than catching lots of them. Dad rented a row boat (inflatable canoe review)  and rowed for miles to the fishing grounds. Another memory is him rowing that heavy, woden boat to fishing grounds. Later he rented boats with a motor. Sometmes it was just us kids, sometimes me, being the oldest, would go with his buddies. I recall filling bushel baskets with blowfish and eating them pretty much all year because our freezer was always filled with them. After that it wasn’t trips per se. We had a cabin at a lake and we would catch sunfish/bluegills from the dock by the dozens. By the time I was about 12 I was taking the boat out myself and catching bass and pickerel and that was the beginning of my fishing life.

Your father must have really known how to clean those blowfish as they are highly toxic even their skins and organs all contain the toxin.