broadhead question

dremarquis

Hi all,

I began bowhunting about 10 years ago and practiced with field points and hunted with grim reapers. I killed and retrieved about 15 deer with grim reapers but I also had several hit the shoulder bone and not penetrate. So 2 years ago I decided to switch to Muzzys. I would be completely dialed in with my field points but with the Muzzys i couldn't make a "kill shot" on my targets. People on this forum said i needed my bow tuned. So i took it to Traditions and he said he tuned it perfectly. I couldn't hunt last year due to a back injury and surgery. This year, after lots of research, i decided to switch to Stinger (single piece of metal, 2 cutting edges). I am again dialed in with field points but when i shoot the Stingers, not nearly as accurate. Is it important that the Stingers be completely vertical? because mine are not (due to the inserts, when they are tight they are at some different angle). Can anyone give me advice on this?

thanks,

andre

• Like 1

Many broadheads will not fly the same as a field   point the larger the fixed blades are the worse they tend to be the smaller fixed blade broadheads seem to be better but you will need to ck any broadhead that you try . Out of my pse i use 100 grain rage broadheads and they fly great just like my field points the faster yor bow is the harder it will be to shoot broadheads .As a example i have 2 crossbows that shoot over 400 fps and i will tell you they are a pain in the ass to find a broadhead that they like fixed or expandable. I have found arrows with more weight forward to them and also using 125 grain or 150 grain tips make them shoot better because the arrow has more steering ability . Out of the crossbows 1 likes nap sling blades in 125 grain with wing blades set horizontal and the other likes Shwacker 150 grain with wing blades horizontal . To adjust blade position put a little teflon tape on broadhead threads and tighten down and set position .Shwackers come with a practice tip and are fair price i would try them . GOOD LUCK !

Just to add on to hard Knox post i have tried out many different Broadhead and arrow combinations over the years being young and always wanting the fancy new stuff. There are only two fixed blade Broadheads that I have shot with true field point accuracy and they are the WAC em line and QAD Exodus heads. Bigger fan of the Exodus Broadheads they have beefier blades and a shoulder smashing tip, learned from experience. However killed multiple deer with both and never any issues. Also x2 on the Teflon tape and yes I’ll t makes a difference on the stingers being vertical. If you can get them set up right you should see a good improvement on accuracy and groupings. Another factor that could be causing this is your fletchings. Any 2in vane arrow has trouble stabilizing in flight with bigger (blade diameter and overall length) Broadheads. Another reason why the Exodus Broadheads are as accurate as they are is the blades actually come back over the arrow giving them a lower profile while maintaining good cutting diameter. Not trying to sell you on Exodus heads just a good example for this. Sorry for the small rant but hope this helps out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Also if Teflon tape doesn’t work try heating your arrow up at the insert. Pull the insert out clean with isopropyl alcohol (insert and inside arrow shaft) then screw your heads on and put some glue or epoxy on it and then just turn the insert until the head is vertical. I do this for guys who shoot 2 blade Broadheads. More permanent application. Just make sure they are set up before removing heads

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm with Passalugo.  Switched to Wac 'em 3 and 4 blade broadheads and they are nearly as accurate out to 40 yards (as far as I care to shoot at deer) as my field tips.  I've taken multiple deer with them from 15-35 yards and have yet to damage one.  (tested multiple times and still fly true).  And can usually find them for a cheaper price than most broadheads.

I shoot the QAD exodus 100gr. switching from another smaller fixed blade. Both of them fly the same as the field points but both are lower profile blade design. What was the wind doing, what yardage were you shooting from? The larger profile is more affected by wind. I've never indexed my vanes to my broadheads and had very tight groups out to 60 yards (longest I've shot) I'm talking touching shafts and many robin hood arrows. You can try it but doubt that will change anything.