Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrymny

Something Strange in the water September 10!

Saw something really weird for miles, only 30 feet down. This was present even with nothing in the water, no riggers, no divers, nothing. I Have no clue what it was. See pictures. The pic shown does show my riggers running far below. But when we quit, we pulled all gear, and it was still there! Didn't see it out in 400, and I've never seen anything like this in my three years of fishing lake Ontario. There were no fleas on our lines all day. Very few weeds. I put the fish hawk down and found 65 degrees there, versus 68 at surface. I even put out 5 color leadcore with spoon and it went untouched. Perplexed. IMG_20190910_123747451_HDR.jpegIMG_20190910_121917917.jpeg

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

18 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Temp

That was my first thought, but his probe only registered a 3 degree difference.

I think Gill-T has a plausible explanation or possibly a submerged band of algae traveling in the underwater current or at the upper region of the thermocline.

Edited by Sk8man

If you catch any fish in the area, check stomach contents. A few years ago we had a similar phenomenon on Lake Michigan. We cut some fish open and found them full of baby Perch that were schooling up suspended over deep water. Dense schools that showed up continuously like you were seeing.

We also had the same thing happen with misis shrimp.

Algae are single celled plants. Even Cladophora, the long stringy algae that grows off the rocks and bottom, is single celled organisms living in a colony or association.  You won't see most species of algae on your rigger cables.

I see this fairly commonly in the finger lakes.  Always assumed it was a temperature break (don't have a probe) or some type of plankton.