Eastern Basin Lake Erie

Jack

You can catch walleye until the water gets hard. Most guys stop fishing when deer season starts or they switch to perch. Right now there are fish all over the place from sturgeon to Barcelona. Right in front of sturgeon has been hot from 60 ish to the line but easy limits are coming from any port.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You can catch walleye until the water gets hard. Most guys stop fishing when deer season starts or they switch to perch. Right now there are fish all over the place from sturgeon to Barcelona. Right in front of sturgeon has been hot from 60 ish to the line but easy limits are coming from any port.

Spot on. Bottom bounced 60fow the other day. Caught a pile of perch and eyes on harnesses. They are all over. Sturgeon and west. 60-80. Any program works. Dipsy. Bottom bounce. Leads. Riggers. Less is more when you find the school.

Finding and getting eyes hasn’t been an issue all season.  If the weather cooperates and you can get out plenty of fish around.  Seems like the later you go the fewer days that it is fishable.  With a flexible schedule fine, but planning a week or two in advance you’re likely to be disappointed.  Also some the launch’s pull their docks around the 1st of October making access a bit tougher for bigger boats.  Most of the walleye guys have their freezers full so tend to see more guys chasing perch this time of year.

How is quite simple. Minnows on various perch rigs. Some prefer the crappie rig that you can get at wallmart, others direct tie hooks to a flouro leader with a palomer knot. There’s really no wrong way to do it. The best minnows are fresh lively emeralds but those are not easy to come by in the fall so whatever the bait store has or frozen emeralds will work. As far as where can be the tough part. 60-70ft between the sturgeon and the Catt is the general area. Most people find the perch by checking various waypoints that they have acquired over the years until they mark them. People without the luxury of way points usually find perch by going next to those already catching them.

9 hours ago, jhl4 said:

How is quite simple. Minnows on various perch rigs. Some prefer the crappie rig that you can get at wallmart, others direct tie hooks to a flouro leader with a palomer knot. There’s really no wrong way to do it. The best minnows are fresh lively emeralds but those are not easy to come by in the fall so whatever the bait store has or frozen emeralds will work. As far as where can be the tough part. 60-70ft between the sturgeon and the Catt is the general area. Most people find the perch by checking various waypoints that they have acquired over the years until they mark them. People without the luxury of way points usually find perch by going next to those already catching them.

We drive around looking for schools of fish on the bottom.  You spend some time looking but once you find them, it is worth it.  Marking weigh points on schools while walleye trolling makes things easier once you limit on walleye. 

• 2 weeks later...
Like to go fishing Monday out of the basin looks like the lake might lay down for a bit. Anybody hear of anybody catching eyes in the area? Haven’t fished in a few weeks and not sure where to start. 
Thanks 
Don't waste your time out of buffalo. Catt and west. Fish today were hugging bottom in 85' out of the catt

I beat up buffalo today since west was rocking. I went deep, I came in tight, I hit 4 different shoals from top to flats. Ran the walls. Graph was blank just about everywhere. I'm not saying there's no fish out there, but they sure as heck hid from me today ! Switched gears and got into some bronze backs to keep my son interested. That worked, thankfully. 0929191410c_HDR.jpeg

So fished out of the Catt Monday. Fished 60 to 80 feet worked hard for a few nice eyes. Tried perch in 50 ,caught a few and some monster cat fish on lite tackle. 

When we come back in to the launch DEC was there asking about our catch and told us the lake had turned over and everyone was working hard for fish

So all in all was a great day to be on the water

C4A7DD86-7A40-43C1-ABBC-BA45F83150C4.thumb.jpeg.b0ed96d506a42000b71e376886499f5d.jpegDBB3D97F-5D7C-403D-B1C1-04407AF338F3.thumb.jpeg.23bca66534a0d71cb6ae5fd3e6ebc1f7.jpeg