Dumbest Thing You Have Done To PlaceThat Perfect Stand

idn713

I have this beautiful secluded field corner, surrounded by oak trees and even has a two producing apple trees on the edge. It is a perfect transition zone out of heavy cover and before hardwoods. Most of the field is CRP and just one little 1/8 acre corner is mowed down for that perfect dusk shot. 

So how do I get a stand up? Ah! There is the perfect oak! About half way up into setting the sticks, I notice the tree is wrapped in posion ivy. It's ok, I have gloves and pants and long sleeves, I will be fine. I get the stand set and my god, it is perfect. I am going to shoot a giant here. 

Welp, 6 days later and I am head to toe poison ivy rash. It's like I could use a skin transplant right now. I look like two face from batman. I can't believe I thought that was a good idea. I have invested stock in calamine lotion.

But if I kill that giant, this will all be worth it........ Maybe.

Ever done anything like this? 

I moved a stand a couple years ago and had to get this giant vice out of the way to get the stand up.  No way it could have been poison ivy.   Well 2 days later i could only open 1 eye and ended up on steroids and stuck in bed for my week off that i had planned to hunt. I do not mess with poison ivy, oak or sumac anymore.   I would get a big stack of alcohol cleaners and gloves to clean that stand.  seems to take off the oil.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BSmaster said:

Not worth it to me.  I am very allergic to that stuff.  I know where all of the patches are growing.  BTW, that resin is going to be there next time as well - there is no season for it.  I would leave the stand and burn the clothes I wore.

I’m gonna clean the stand and wash my stuff after every sit. I’m not very allergic so it’s not the biggest deal to me. Now, am I scratching everywhere? Yes. But will I have that level of contact next time, no, nowhere near it.

I mean, it’s THE tree. I gotta be there 

Edited by idn713

I use to get it really bad between my fingers because that was the part of my hand that I didn't clean well after field dressing a rabbit.  The general rule is that if you came into contact you need to wash sooner than later and very well - more than the 15 second bathroom rule.  Its a transfer problem too.  Get it on your hands everything your hands touch will get it.  I don't normally preach abstinence for anything but in this case no contact is my rule.

I don't know about building up a tolerance to it.  I am 49 and I can't tolerate it.  I been getting into that since I was little.

I brought my climber into a newly acquired property one morning at 430. It was pitch black. Found a tree in the perfect spot set up and and settled in for daybreak. After a couple hours I had to get rid of some coffee and needed a break. I climbed down and relieved myself and then after a few minutes went back up for an all day sit.

The tree had poison oak all over it and I never noticed it. The first body part that I touched with my hands was .....you guessed it.

The worse 2 weeks of my life. Nothing I tried would take the pain and itch away.

It got so bad I had to go to DRs and get a steroid to help.

‘Bout Time

Mike

I almost feel guilty reading this post. I am not alergic to either posion ivy or poison oak. I forget sometimes that my wife can get poison from my clothes if I walk through a poison patch. My  one son and daughter are alergic to pioson ivy but my other son isn't. I live in the woods so my job is to remove the poison ivy from all the trees along the sunny edge on my driveway so my wife can move the grass there without getting blotchy.

Sorry guys I feel your pain but I can't really relate to it.

I get it every year either hanging stands or planting trees, but it generally doesn't itch really bad. More of an inconvenience. I have one friend who has to have steroid injections when it goes systemic, and two others who aren't allergic at all.

Yet.

Tecnu scrub is great at reducing - but not eliminating - the rash, and alcohol wipes generally do the rest. Ivy, ticks, man we got to love what we do...

• Like 1

My first week in college, i was part of a community service project around campus and got poison ivy on both of my legs from my knees down.  I started out using Calamine lotion for the first few days, but that did nothing.  It got so bad that my feet and ankles swelled up to the point that i couldn't put my shoes on, and had blistering/scabs covering my legs.  Steroids finally got rid of it, but I still have some scarring from it.  Ever since then, i avoid it at all costs.  No deer is worth going through that again....i think :smile:

• 1 month later...

My great Uncle showed us to use Jewel weed on poison ivy. Also known as touch.me not. Grows in wet areas. Has the small green seed pods that burst when you touch them. Has small orange Flowers at times.  The stalks are hollow and juicy. Use the stalks crumpled up and the juice. It works.

Edited by garrymny