key largo sept 07

ncallahan03

Way to go....looks like you guys slammed the Mahi :yes: I bet that was a great time! Did you catch many BF, I see one but I know there Is a one BF per boat limit right now. That's some great table fare!!

I'll be In Key Largo In a few weeks. I'm there for three days after five days on Long Key. It will be my first time on the water In Key Largo so I'm looking forward to It. Did you go beyond the reef to troll? I doubt I'll get out to troll with my smaller boat but I'm hoping to reef fish.

yeh it was awesome...we were about 10 miles out on the weed line... But i heard the reef fishing was amazing 20lb grouper, baracuda, anything...the place we stayed was on a canal, and we caught about 30 amber jacks as well the week we were there, on minnows that we cought out of the canal

Beautiful catch! Some great eating there!

I'll be In Key Largo In a few weeks. I'm there for three days after five days on Long Key. It will be my first time on the water In Key Largo so I'm looking forward to It. Did you go beyond the reef to troll? I doubt I'll get out to troll with my smaller boat but I'm hoping to reef fish.

Where abouts in Long key you staying? My wife and I stay at the Lime Tree Bay Resort and we rent boats out of Seabird marina on Long Key. We fish down there about once a year and have gone in Feb. before several times. It can be a tricky month down there. We were most recently there in October for our 5th year anniversary. Spent a day off Sprigger Banks for some food fish (snapper, seatrout, etc.) then played around the bridges and took some BIG Jack and 'cuda.

Where abouts in Long key you staying?

We are staying at Long Key State park. I know February can be tricky, especially with the wind. I've fished sprigger bank, the snapper fishing there gets stupid doesn't It? Last year we stayed on Fiesta key, which Is almost next door to Long Key state park. We'll be pulling a 16ft boat down with the RV so I'll probably only fish inshore and over by sprigger In the Gulf. I'll hit the flats every day as well. I'm not picky....It's all good :yes: I like to go out for lobster too...that's fun, have you tried that yet?

I'm not sure what to do with the boat though. The site Is oceanfront and I hear everyone pulls their boat up by the beach in front of their site? Guess I'll see when I get there?

We are staying at Long Key State park. I know February can be tricky, especially with the wind. I've fished sprigger bank, the snapper fishing there gets stupid doesn't It? Last year we stayed on Fiesta key, which Is almost next door to Long Key state park. We'll be pulling a 16ft boat down with the RV so I'll probably only fish inshore and over by sprigger In the Gulf. I'll hit the flats every day as well. I'm not picky....It's all good I like to go out for lobster too...that's fun, have you tried that yet?

I'm not sure what to do with the boat though. The site Is oceanfront and I hear everyone pulls their boat up by the beach in front of their site? Guess I'll see when I get there?

The lobster tag is the best deal going isn't it! For $ 4.00 you can take 5 a day in season! I've never been that lucky however. I average just one or maybe 2 legal bugs each time down. Plenty of short ones however...

As far as your boat, check out Seabird marina. They are the small marina just south of Fiesta Key on Long Key. Not sure about fees, but they have a launch and slips. They are gulfside between the state park and Fiesta Key.

Got into these jack along the bridge immediatey south of Long key in Oct. Took 20-30 minutes each on 12lb gear. Amazing. Can't explain the power of ocean fish to anyone that has never been. Nothing in freshwater compares....

My favorite however is wading for 'cuda using topwater at dusk.

Have some GPS coordinates for a few spots off sprigger bank if you are interested...

Good luck....be sure to post pics....

stevejack.jpg

That's a nice size Crevalle Jack! Can't wait to see that turquoise blue water again. I'll check out that marina, maybe that will be the ticket and I can probably ride my bike there. I know that bridge your at In the pic and I'll definitely be spending plenty of time there. It's close and you never know what you'll catch under the bridges....the kids go bonkers!!

If you have those coordinates that would be great! I'm taking a different plotter this year and I got nothin! I'm leaving In 11 days so anytime this month would be terrific!

Thanks!