for sale : usa Wanted Seth green pole

Here is a crude representation (drawn with a mouse:lol:) of the basic system. There are many variations possible.

thermocline2d.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

They do catch fish,I used to run a flatfish or twin minno in the middle of the rig it gave the whole rig vibration.

If you can not find one I Have a rig someplace with 7 strand wire I will have to look. I am not interested in shipping it.

Sk8man could you please draw what they look like when you get them back in the boat?;-)

I saw an add on here earlier this year. Looked like they had 2 for sale. For the life of me i can't find the add. They had 2 short roller rods and they were laying in the driveway. The add didn't say they were seth green rigs. But those short roller rods would be perfect. If you can find the add. Or maybe someone else can find it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use something similar to a Seth green rig.
Mine consists of a big penn reel with 800 feet of 60 lb braid. I put 16 to 32 oz weight on 12 inches of mono, on a 3way swivel, then I loop in a spro swivel ( the smaller one) every 8 feet from the end. I put 8 swivels on looped in. (This gives me options to spread things out) I then use a 6 to 8 foot leader with a snap-swivel on both ends. For a rod I use a heavy trolling rod that use to be 9 foot. I broke off a foot or so and attached a twilly tip.

I run this as a chute rod. It’s a killer system, I’ve used it for Lakers, walleye, steelhead, all at the same time on Erie.
I use it on Ontario for kings and steelhead at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They can also be run from just a reel such as the A and S automatic ( and hand lined) and the old timers used a wooden hand line receptacle and rolled up dacron line or braid 9some even used leadcore) that had bead chains integrated in it at intervals and the leaders were coiled up on the floor in the boat or wrapped up on small wooden blocks or heavy duty cardboard. There were also large circular wheel types that could be mounted to the bench seat of the old boats and the leaders rolled up on the wheel as the lures were taken off the leaders (it is what I started with.....and no I didn't fish with Seth Green:lol:). The technique was developed it the late 1800's right here on the Finger lakes by the namesake Seth Green ....also the guy that started the first fish hatchery in NYS at Caledonia, NY. back then.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

The 49 L (or M for mariner) is basically a salt water reel formerly used for deep water jigging in the ocean and subsequently used for freshwater Seth Green rigs. It is a very large (and heavy) reel which has a pretty smooth drag but needs support on the rod with a rod clamp. When used in usual rod holders it tends to flop over unless a notch is put in the holder to hold the bottom of the reel seat. The Penn 309 generally replaced the use of the 49 for most anglers using the Seth Green in the mid eighties. It is a much lighter reel (lighter frame etc.) with a louder drag clicker but not as smooth generally. The more modern or recent 309's have replaced the steel spool with a black plastic spool but are otherwise the same as the old ones although long term tension of wire placed directly on the reel spool is a question mark so it may be wise to put on a short amount of mono first to cushion it. Here are pics of each:

309492.jpg

309491.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I built one to use with my Victrola rig many years ago.  I used a light level fly line and three way bead chains between the sections.  If it got tangled it was easier to handle than mono, but it was still a PITA.  But with one person rowing and one deploying one or two of these rigs off an old rowboat, this was the "full spread" of the 1880's.  Or maybe with a flyrod and feathers run in the "oarwash." :smile:.

Edited by Lucky13