Acquiring Captains license???

Reel Chaos

www.marinerslearningsystem.com is the site you want to look at.

I did mine with them and had no problem passing their test, that qualifies you to apply to USCG for your license. Once you buy your coarse, they send you a box of books, materials, and your chart. You study the books, the supplements online and take a series of quizzes online. Once you pass a section, you move on to the next. Once you pass all of it, you get a certificate to test out. You choose a site(all over the place) and sit for your USCG qualified exam. The exam consists of the very same questions from all the quizzes you just took. There are four sections. I aced two, and was in the 90's on the other two, so I was prepared really well.

A few sections will take some time, a quiet kitchen table to work on and some patience: Rules of the Road, the light and horn configurations, and the chart work. The rest is easy. MLS supplies you with flash cards you can print off to study with. I did it, and it helped a lot.

MLS also has qualified staff on call all of the time to answer questions you may have. If you can't figure something out, give them a call, they will walk you through it over the phone.

I am in no way affiliated with MLS. I am just really busy, and realized sitting in a class was not going to work. I stayed up late, took Sunday afternoons, etc. and I was more than prepared. I was really happy with the experience and speak highly of them.

Matt

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used US Captains Training when I got my license.  I took a class room version and I do believe they do more on line training today.  As Bandrus states the instructor does a good job of putting the info together for you.  Only downside with US Captains is that they are Michigan based so not to many testing places near Western New York. They have some good info on their website as well.  When I went through the renewal process a few years ago I used their info to complete my application.

Yeah. The pnemonic devices he uses to remember lights and Rules of the Road are good, but like I said, if you decide to use MLS to study for your license, the exam questions come directly from the quizzes you take throughout the course they present. I used his pnemonic devices to help remember some stuff but there came a time when I had to focus on the material from MLS. I carried my flash cards everywhere for a few weeks. I would pull them out when I had some down time and just ran through some stuff.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Masters License testing isn’t that much more than the 6 pack.  The Masters is a more versatile license for additional employment as it doesn’t have the six passenger restrictions.  Kind of makes sense to get the highest endorsement you can as it is costly to go back after the fact to increase.  Good discussion to have with the Training staff you plan to use.

• Like 2