Best spoon for brownies....

Gator, black tuxedo, alewife, Carbon 14, green jeans, purple glow alewife, green glow alewife, Froggy glow, NBK and green tuxedo were my best producers the past two seasons. Most are stingers listed above and some are moonshines. Stingrays and stingers sizes for Michigan Stingers and standard and mag for moonshines.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

14 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Whatever happened to Alpena diamonds?  I remember they used to start working when the browns went to smaller bait.  Of course, the goby probably changed everything. 

They are in a museum.  Get with the times Lucky!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

They are in a museum.  Get with the times Lucky!

I seem to recall a time when if you didn't have four downriggers hanging off the back of your ship, you were a hopeless dinosaur.   Those of us who still pulled copper or dragged lead core were anachronisms best relegated to those small lakes where irregularity of bottom made downriggers impractical.  How many junk lines do you run now?  The times keep changing, and the old comes back as "new".  Suttons were not invented yesterday, and if you could get the little Millers you would be pulling them.  And I believe there is a diagram of a peanut and "fly" pulled behind a flasher in Earl Holdren's book, there's a real "modern" idea! ;).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like Stinger's stinger size and Bay Rats 3.5. Especially in skinny water. I find the DW SS tend to float a little and with long leads it's tough to get them down. Over deeper water with shorter leads and behind divers they are another great spoon. Those are really all we ever use when fishing BT. Sometimes we'll go a little biger to Stingrays and DW Reg spoons.

I pull sticks on one side and spoons on the other until the fish decide what they want.  this past spring walleye candy spoons were hot for spring browns on Lake Ontario. 

One spoon that has been great for me in all conditions is a glow alewife stingray. Was by far our best brown trout spoon out of Wilson. I still prefer rapala over bay rats but both catch fish. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So i've been using Alpena Diamonds in the spring for a few years now and doing reasonably well. I came late to the big pond after 35 years of muskie fishing so all lures were new to me. After watching a boat partner clean up with Alpena Diamonds I bought a bunch at used tackle sales most for about a buck. So far they are working and I thought they had been a good investment but now I hear some of you guys saying throw them away. .

This dinosaur is still catching muskies on the same lure as he caught the first of well over a thousand on over 40 years ago..

5 minutes ago, horsehunter said:

So i've been using Alpena Diamonds in the spring for a few years now and doing reasonably well. I came late to the big pond after 35 years of muskie fishing so all lures were new to me. After watching a boat partner clean up with Alpena Diamonds I bought a bunch at used tackle sales most for about a buck. So far they are working and I thought they had been a good investment but now I hear some of you guys saying throw them away. .

This dinosaur is still catching muskies on the same lure as he caught the first of well over a thousand on over 40 years ago..

I think when they say throw them away most are kidding. If I could find a bunch of pink black dots with white back I’d be pretty happy. 

On 12/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, horsehunter said:

It's winter a cheap airbrush a couple jars of paint a jar of clearcoat and a bit of imagination.

Pink with black dots eh gona try it

That Alpena diamond was a Lake Erie walleye catching spoon