Stringer Repair

Broadhorizons

I'm looking at purchasing a PY 225 and had a survey performed. The survey shows that the port main stringer is rotten b/c there was something mounted on it, removed and the holes were never sealed. This is on a stringer that has the portside mounts for the motor but the mounts on either side of the rotted area are still solid. I know the best solution would be to replace the whole stringer but I was wondering if just the damaged areas could be repaired. The extent of the rot was not able to be determined b/c of access below the deck. The rest of the boat checked out good with some other relatively minor things to repair. Who in NY would you suggest for stinger repair?

When you are losing the bearings in the coupler joint of you lower unit, the stringers are a good place to start looking as the engine is "flopping around" on its mounts. New stringers can be installed. douglas fir, but the alignment is critical. If they are off, you will be losing bearings. Make sure you find someone with EXPERIENCE.

I think the best repair facility locally is Watercraft Clinic in Wolcott. A few years ago, I had Clint replace stringers on a 31' Baha and they did an excellent job. Just this fall I had them replace the floor on my 245 Lund Genmar Sport Cabin. Again, a nice quality job. Their Phone number is: 315-754-0050