squaire stern canoe

rolmops

I am tired of hauling my Islander 75 miles every time go to our lake house and the idea of permanently storing a squaire stern canoe with a small electric or propane/gas outboard looks more appealing every time I have to deal with the transport and launching logistics. The lake our house is on is Owasco,which is a small lake that I know like the back of my hand. My wife tells me what fish she wants for dinner and usually within the hour the fish is in the pan ( or not). LOL I call it Wegmans Lake.What squaire stern would you good people recommend and what power source should go with it?( I am currently rebuilding a 1993 9.9 johnson) My center of gravity is  rather high as in around the shoulders, while my sense of balance is such that I need low seating in this canoe, maybe even outriggers.

All opinions and advice are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

DItto the above.  I have an Old Town Sport boat, a square sterner built on Rangely boat lines, more like a guide boat but still a narrower beam than a small motor boat.  It was rated for a five when they came out, but Old Town dropped the rating to three.  And I have a 16' Raddison, not square, but has a side mount for a motor, it is also rated for three.  The OT screams with a three on it, but the first time I used it, used to the wider beam, I almost "set a rod down" into the lake.  If you are not hauling it around and having to get it back in off the road, and you are leaving it at your cottage, get the 14 footer and put your 9.9 on it, and if you still want a canoe, use it with paddles or oars, and take your wife for a nice ride once in a while.:smile:

I had an Old Town square stern canoe several years ago and my little 2-stroke 3.3hp Evinrude was a perfect fit for that 16' canoe. Max rated hp was 4. That canoe/outboard combo was outstanding!

Edited by Todd in NY

I went thru this same thing 

I had a 12 ft row boat / 5 horse . Nice boat but a pain to put in and out of the truck and set up each time 

When I started going to the ADKs I got a square  stern and put the 5 on that . Nice but small and unstable to stand up and fish which is what I like . 

I lucked into a 16 ft side console w/ 35 horse and love it . Easy to trailer and best you don't have to hand launch the boat  car top and put the motor on and off . Which takes a lot of time and effort .

I see a lot of 14 or 16  ft  tillers  for sale on Craig's list for not a lot of money . 

I love my 16 . It tows easy and goes on and off easy . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HB2 said:

I went thru this same thing 

I had a 12 ft row boat / 5 horse . Nice boat but a pain to put in and out of the truck and set up each time 

When I started going to the ADKs I got a square  stern and put the 5 on that . Nice but small and unstable to stand up and fish which is what I like . 

I lucked into a 16 ft side console w/ 35 horse and love it . Easy to trailer and best you don't have to hand launch the boat  car top and put the motor on and off . Which takes a lot of time and effort .

I see a lot of 14 or 16  ft  tillers  for sale on Craig's list for not a lot of money . 

I love my 16 . It tows easy and goes on and off easy . 

Yep, I sold my canoe and bought a 16' row boat with a trailer. I still use that 3.3 Evinrude on my row boat, but it's a much better fishing platform and easy to launch & load.