Advice needed: Once in a life time destination?

Hi everyone, I’m hoping for some advice. My brother, father and I have been discussing a once in a lifetime fishing trip for trophy musky/pike. We’ve done remote drive-in trips to Ontario in years past for walleye and pike but really want a big musky.

Some background on us, were experienced trout/salmon trollers but have little experience casting big baits. Ideally, we would like a fly-in or drive to destination that provides lodging, gear and a guide. We’re open to any location and appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

IMG_2786.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hans the carver does guiding on the SLR. It's not a fly in remote destination, but that body of water holds true giants and I've seen the proof he knows where to go and how to get them. Also, with plenty of places to stay and his reasonable rates, it may be a twice in a lifetime trip !

• Like 1

If everyone in your crew wants a shot at a big musky, I would book a 2 day trip on St Clair,  casting rubber is fairly easy only hard work, some baits like shadzillas, posidens, etc are easier than mag/pounder dawgs or medussas but the captain will help you get the cadence down. You have a great chance on all getting a 50 plus. 

If not the most scenic lake but it's loaded with big fish. otherwise maybe Eagle lake? 

• Like 1

I suggest Mal Pais in Costa Rica. Beautiful weather, beautiful surfing ladies everywhere, and great Mahi Mahi. Less than half an hour from shore. The Mahi is a better fighter than a musky. The place is not a tourist trap and the guides are laid back and good. My guide, a six foot six giant , nicknamed little one and his 25 foot boat gave me a fantastic trip at a great price. pm me if you want to know more.

25 minutes ago, rolmops said:

I suggest Mal Pais in Costa Rica. Beautiful weather, beautiful surfing ladies everywhere, and great Mahi Mahi. Less than half an hour from shore. The Mahi is a better fighter than a musky. The place is not a tourist trap and the guides are laid back and good. My guide, a six foot six giant , nicknamed little one and his 25 foot boat gave me a fantastic trip at a great price. pm me if you want to know more.

I do if he does not thanks

Larry is planning to be at Niagara Fishing Show in January and that would be a good time to chat with him as he is pretty busy chasing musky in the fall.  Larry also does back country South American trips for world class fish that are of the “bucket list” variety.  Pretty remote trips definitely one of a kind. Good guy to touch base with.