Electric Downrigger Suggestions

MAGNUM METALZ.

MADE IN USA.

EXCELLENT SERVICE.

CALL AND TALK TO THE GUY THAT BUILDS THEM.

ROCK SOLID.

NO BEADS OR AUTO STOP ISSUES. SLIP CLUTCH WORKS!

LIFTS 20 LBS. LIKE NOTHING ON THERE.

1. FULL 20190609_140657.thumb.jpg.b0d303517c782fb86d4cacfaab5463eb.jpgSEASON ON THEM AND ZERO ISSUES. 

PRICED FOR REALITY!

WORTH CHECKING OUT.

ENUFF SAID.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 6:23 PM, spoonfed-1 said:

I just talked to a friend of mine who put on the 2116's years ago. He never had the condensation issue but has replaced the counters in all four after three seasons. When he bought his they had no power switch. The new counters have a power button so you can turn them off when not in use. He said he paid about $50.00 for each counter. I think I'll stick with my old 1116's. Thanks for the info as I never heard about the counter problems until now.

can't go wrong with either, I own both and have no complaints with either.  But then, I haven't had a boat in the water since 2013 , but I've owned Scottys since 2002 or so.

Tim

I've had a pair of 10 A's for 37 years and still going strong and although it may sound odd I'm happy they aren't "high speed" as "slow speed" matches my style better nowadays:lol: (gives me time to change up lures and re-rig things on the way up)

On 10/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, TIME OFF said:

MAGNUM METALZ.

MADE IN USA.

EXCELLENT SERVICE.

CALL AND TALK TO THE GUY THAT BUILDS THEM.

ROCK SOLID.

NO BEADS OR AUTO STOP ISSUES. SLIP CLUTCH WORKS!

LIFTS 20 LBS. LIKE NOTHING ON THERE.

1. FULL 20190609_140657.thumb.jpg.b0d303517c782fb86d4cacfaab5463eb.jpgSEASON ON THEM AND ZERO ISSUES. 

PRICED FOR REALITY!

WORTH CHECKING OUT.

ENUFF SAID.

X2

After reading all this, I sure am glad that I have four Traxtech riggers on my boat!  Turn the unit on, drop the weight in & set zero at the surface, key in the depth you want to go to & hit auto down, (unit has slow down start & stop), if  you want to go up key in the depth you want & hit auto up, done fishing hit auto up & the weight comes up quickly with slow down for the last 5 feet. Four flawless years on them now.

good luck to all

john

Edited by Iceman

Scotty, Traxstech and Magnum Metalz will all be exhibiting at the Greater Niagara Fishing & Outdoor Expo this coming January 17 - 19, 2020. Talk with their experts and have them walk you thru the features and functions that are most important to you. It should help you with your decision and probably save you some money if they offer a show discount. Check out the show at www.niagarafishingexpo.com

More expensive but I've been running the cannon digi troll 10's for 5 seasons.  I really like the soft stop and also the adjustable down speed.   I also have an older Scotty 1106 rigger that I'm going to put down the center as my occasional use 3rd rigger.  I've used (older) scottys before and have no complaints other than their known operational differences.

• 4 months later...

I have Big Jon's and they work just fine if you keep your ball weight to 10 pounds or less. With 12 pounders they come up too slow which tells me you are over heating the motor. I use 10 pound pancake weight and they are acceptable. I custom fit the Cannon retro ease cords to my Big Jon's.  In my humble opinion, you need a retrieval cord if you have long booms.My buddy has Scotties and the work great but are kinda ugly. Scotties are nice cause your only using battery to pull them up. Down is manual slip clutch. Kinda cool. My brother in law has the high speed Cannon mag 10's. They are way to fast. When they hit the auto stop, the stop is very violent I'm sure they will cause boom damage eventually. He broke the boom end pulley in the first few weeks but Cannon replaced it free. They also gave him replacement's for his other two riggers so I think they changed the design because the parts couldn't handle the violent stop.

I would look into Magnum Metalz thier quality, support, and price is superior to the others in my opinion.  The gentleman that owns the company is the original designer of vector line.  I've ran these for years and love them over any others i've owned or used.  Scotty's are good if you don't mind free falling your weight,  not a big fan of that myself or the belt drive.

I’ve been running Magnum Metalz for 2 seasons now after using both cannons and big Jon’s. There’s no plastic on the magnums to break. No electronic boards to go bad and the clutch is so smooth. They’re quiet and have a small foot print so they don’t hog up the boat. I’m happy. The price was right and they have worked flawless. I bought the 140 fpm motors but he has 200 fpm also. They pull my 15lb weights like nothing. Check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

20190917_131242.thumb.jpg.01dc61f1b9e84fd3636c2fd7a86d4350.jpg20190917_131019.thumb.jpg.883d23a50ba796b9dea5eb0695ec1b3a.jpg

2 hours ago, Total Chaos said:

I’ve been running Magnum Metalz for 2 seasons now after using both cannons and big Jon’s. There’s no plastic on the magnums to break. No electronic boards to go bad and the clutch is so smooth. They’re quiet and have a small foot print so they don’t hog up the boat. I’m happy. The price was right and they have worked flawless. I bought the 140 fpm motors but he has 200 fpm also. They pull my 15lb weights like nothing. Check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Total Chaos, I came up with a way to run Bert's rod holders on the MM. I like the original but the Bert's are nicer. I'll include a few pics.  TIME OFF

• 3 weeks later...