Electric Downrigger Suggestions

I fish in Maine a lot for Salmon and Trout but I recently started fishing Lake Ontario more and don't mind the travel down from Maine. I have a 21ft Islander with 4 Cannon UniTroll 10STX manual downriggers. Im not 100% sold on Cannon I've had a ton of problems with 2 of my current riggers while the other 2 have been great. Im looking for recommendations and reviews on a pair of electrics in the 1,000-1200 to replace two of my manuals. Open to all brands never owned electrics before and would like to have some feedback from folks who use them! 

Thanks Everyone!

C7B3FE94-FE83-40FE-A919-C26E1E31E242.jpeg

They also take some patience when coming from Cannons as the orientation of them is so radically different ( e.g. more horizontal than vertical operation). probably different when starting out with them but when used to cannons for a long time it takes some getting used to:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

19 hours ago, guffins fisherman said:

I have fished Cannon electrics and Scotty electrics extensively.  If I had my choice, and $$ was no object, I had enough room to put them on, I would go with Scotty hands down.  The only downfall is they are big and require a lot of room.

Right on the money. Lifetime guarantee on Scottys also as long as you register them

4 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Scotty rigger counters have history has issues fogging up and becoming ruined from condensation

Also they are self contained battery controlled I believe so the counters do have a "life" to them. 

You are referring to the new digital readout counters then. I have the old style mechanical counters since 94, No issues.

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

correct... I doubt he is buying riggers from 94

Isn't that  a special reply. You can still buy the old style.

Do you even run Scottys?

Edited by spoonfed-1

1 hour ago, spoonfed-1 said:

Isn't that  a special reply. You can still buy the old style.

Do you even run Scottys?

I do in fact and that is why I recommend 2116's  thanks for asking

And if you can link me to mechanical 2116 counters for them I'll buy them right now

Edited by bandrus1

17 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I do in fact and that is why I recommend 2116's  thanks for asking

And if you can link me to mechanical 2116 counters for them I'll buy them right now

How many counters have you replaced and how old are the riggers? The mechanical counters are on the 1116's and they are not even remotely interchangeable with the digital counters. And yes they still make and sell the the 1116's in 2019

I have had 2116's for 2 years and had to replace the electric counts that came stock with them. I had to replace them 3 weeks after install due to condensation build up in them. It is such a known issue that all I had to do was call Scotty and tell them and they sent me 2 free and I sent them the serial number of counters. My friend who is a regular charter has gone threw 12 on his 4 riggers in 5 years

Edited by bandrus1

19 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Yes, they were covered or stored. There was a specific run of them that had this condensation issue that they resolved supposedly. Issue is you don't know how old new ones you are buying are

I just talked to a friend of mine who put on the 2116's years ago. He never had the condensation issue but has replaced the counters in all four after three seasons. When he bought his they had no power switch. The new counters have a power button so you can turn them off when not in use. He said he paid about $50.00 for each counter. I think I'll stick with my old 1116's. Thanks for the info as I never heard about the counter problems until now.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:09 AM, NortheastHardcoreSportsman said:

I fish in Maine a lot for Salmon and Trout but I recently started fishing Lake Ontario more and don't mind the travel down from Maine. I have a 21ft Islander with 4 Cannon UniTroll 10STX manual downriggers. Im not 100% sold on Cannon I've had a ton of problems with 2 of my current riggers while the other 2 have been great. Im looking for recommendations and reviews on a pair of electrics in the 1,000-1200 to replace two of my manuals. Open to all brands never owned electrics before and would like to have some feedback from folks who use them! 

Thanks Everyone!

I don't want to get into the Chevy vs Ford Vs Dodge argument. Just adding my suggestion of another brand to look at.

I have been using BigJon's since 1991 and am still using the original two I bought back then. Added two more to the set when I bought a new boat in 2002. They are not the fastest retrieve rate out there but these units are dependable, Affordable and easily user repairable if needed. I seldom fish deeper than 120' but often am down in the 80' to 110' with 12lb sharks. They have units with heavier motors if you want to use heavier weights for deeper depths.

Good luck with whatever riggers you get. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of the big jon pro tournament that i' bought new a few yrs ago. the problems i've had is the auto stops quit working the 1st yr. I use 13# weights and the breaker on one unit kicks out at times. I contacted big jon and they gave me a name to call but I never did. I just reset the breaker and bring it on in. other than these problems they are awesome. a little fast going down for my liking but not a problem. if I had the money and was getting new it would be either big jon brutes or scotty.

• Like 1