Shark Cannonballs Extreme Shark

Looking to get your opinion on the shark cannonballs and it's advertised advantage. If the general opinion supports the shark attractant advantage then what setup would you recommend for a 3 rigger combination. (Weights and colors)

If anyone tells you they attract fish please laugh back at them. Some people will say anything to get discounted products, and be a part of a pro staff. There is absolutely no way to prove this theory.

Here's what I can tell you. I feel Shark Cannonballs cut back severely on blow back. I can also attest to them sending back a good sonar signature. 

For fishing in the top 50' you can get away with 12lb weights. 50-125' 15lb weights. Deeper than 125' and I recommend 20lb weights. These are strictly my recommendations and I am not a fan of cable blow back.

• Like 1

Rick,

Ouch Rick....  

I guess the same can be said with a dodger or certain flashers??  One can assume :) Is it the offering behind it really or the snap of does the flasher/type/color really matter after all?

Does the wire used with wire divers attract/catch more fish than braid or mono line?  Cant prove the wire does per se' but they do make a hum and do catch fish more. :) that braid typically (Or at least that's the rumor :)

Are u promoting CANNON riggers because a lot of anglers don't have riggers that can pull 20 pound weights without something breaking. I know CANNONS do tho...  But not all will or can.

Just my 2 cents

11 hours ago, dreamsteelie said:

Rick,

Ouch Rick....  

I guess the same can be said with a dodger or certain flashers??  One can assume :) Is it the offering behind it really or the snap of does the flasher/type/color really matter after all?

Does the wire used with wire divers attract/catch more fish than braid or mono line?  Cant prove the wire does per se' but they do make a hum and do catch fish more. :) that braid typically (Or at least that's the rumor :)

Are u promoting CANNON riggers because a lot of anglers don't have riggers that can pull 20 pound weights without something breaking. I know CANNONS do tho...  But not all will or can.

Just my 2 cents

ds

There are a number of riggers that can easily handle 20LB rigger weights, I have owned two brands that do, Bigjon, & my current riggers Traxtech, so, I don't understand your comment on Cannon?

John

12 hours ago, dreamsteelie said:

Rick,

Ouch Rick....  

Just my 2 cents

I don't dislike the shark weights. Matter of fact I was one of the original guys who asked for, and discussed with the owner, a 20lb shark option.

10 years ago the owner came around and asked all the tourney teams if they believed the facets on the shark cannonball attracted fish into their spread. I was the only guy to say there was no way I could prove that theory. I hoped they would, but what scientific evidence could I get to prove this theory? This information was listed on his website, and still might be. Everybody else he asked said yes the facets attract fish. I don't lie to other anglers nor do I make up BS to sell a product. Most of the companies that sponsor me I used prior to that sponsorship, and a good amount of them came to me instead of me seeking them out.

As for your downrigger dig, again another company that came to me, there are many companies who can carry a 20lb weight. Traxstech, Big John, Scotty, and Magnum Metal all can handle 20lb weights. I'd say the only one who can't is Walker.

Let's get to facts that we can prove. A shark cannonball has less blowback than most downrigger weights. That's something easily prove-able. I've also tested 3 different shaped 15lb weights on my sonar to see what one would send back the best sonar signature. Here was what I found. The worst sonar signature is a pancake or the new wide pancakes. Best sonar signature is a Shark weight. That's putting each weight on the same downrigger, and keeping the course and speed the same.

• Like 1

Iceman John-

I am Not saying that there are not a few riggers that can pull 20# ers.. I have owned BJs since 1987 from std units to Brutes currently.  One cannot run a 20# weight on a longer boom BJ as an example.Unless the boom is short- However, the motors CAN pull them easily.  Walkers and older riggers suffer with 20# weights.  The avg./rec angler does not use 20# weights.  

My point was to Rick because he promotes CANNONS because he believes in them and we don't  tell others to Laugh when they talk about them.  CANNON makes  a great product and has vested itself in the Great Lakes market ! They also have a great captain like  Rick on their team.

Rick, I guess this part of your reply to John was a bit harsh from someone that promotes numerous products and ones that "you" believe in.  Esp. since you do not truly know that answer yourself.

"If anyone tells you they attract fish please laugh back at them"  WTH?

The fact that they "may" or may not is a debate-agree. But that's true of MANY things in the fishing world.  

These are all debatable things and we can go on..  (LOL-we are not gonna even start those debates)

Does FC catch more fish than regular mono?

Does scented meat out fish regular unscented meat?

Does adding post applied scents like Pro Cure of Mikes help induce strikes?

Does changing a flasher out pulling meat to a diff color flasher with same meat actually make a fish bite Or was it coincidence?

Do Solunar Tables work all the time?

Do lighter leaders get more bites when spoon fishing than heavy line?

On and on....The beat goes on...

"As for your downrigger dig, again another company that came to me, there are many companies who can carry a 20lb weight. Traxstech, Big John, Scotty, and Magnum Metal all can handle 20lb weights. I'd say the only one who can't is Walker".   

Rick-Try a standard BJ rigger with a 20#er or use a Brute rigger with 50" boom and 20# weight (Ker Plunk).  Not gonna happen, so it depends on each situation with each rigger.  Not all rigger, not all booms or setups can handle a 20#er.

BTW-just wanted to get you riled up a bit because of your laugh comment. Its all good tho...

SHARKS:

2/2: You are correct in saying they track great and omit sound signal below and that our sonar units can see that diff from regular weights and SHARKS weights.

Whether they attract fish and help you catch fish is most likely a personal choice answer.  I say yes along with many others. They do draw  fish into spread and their weights get a lot of follows.  PLUS and we all know fish are attracted to sound/disturbances, esp in the AM and when their on the feed bag.  

Captain Pete

Vision Quest Sport Fishing

Earl 28: to answer your Q.

One can never go wrong with black!

Chrome weights can be used as an added attractant, whether high or deep fishing but some guys believe they may turn fish off (too much light refraction/spook fish etc...) Unproven but its a legit theory/concern.

I carry chrome and black and use accordingly and like a 17# chrome shark deep ! and I like chrome sharks in the top 60 when hunting for steelhead and coho running spoons tight but not kings.

White is unproven but now available at FishUSA.  Will be interesting to try out some day) We tried white downrigger weights for Lakers for a couple years (On Erie) and always benched them cuz we felt they were not productive VS lead balls-Again. my opinion from doing this since the 80's and fishing April into November.... We usually do not use Sharks when pounding bottom for Trout tho.  Too expensive and their noses can dig into rocks etc..

Hope all of this helps.

Captain Pete

It's all good Rick....  Thank You !

Earl28-Regarding the comment   "Its like being one on one at the Salmon School"   Now that made me smile and laugh...  That was a pretty good reply.

I think your on the right page with your order.

Captain Pete

I have to say I believe shark weights do attract fish.......sometimes. 

Have had many times on the graph a fish streak from below to the same height as my rigger weight when there was no presentation on that rigger.    

Not sure its actually from the facets or the reasons claimed by Shark. Could just be curiosity of aggressive fish. 

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

I would go with blue or green.  they are the last 2 colors to disappear as you go deeper. once your below 60 feet or so they all look black, even the chrome.  now the glows work deeper. 

I enjoy stirring the pot as much as anyone:lol: Does a heavier shark weight attract more fish than a lighter one?  When you get down to it none of these things have been scientifically proven by controlled experimental approaches and most for good reason: there are too many uncontrolled variables involved; thus it is basically speculation when either side of the issue is set forth as the answer. So what do we have at the end? "Personal preference" and speculation based on our own experiences and nobody really "knows best":lol:

• Like 1

I will call BS on attraction of facets. Go to John King’s website michiganangler.com and scroll thru some of his underwater videos. He has a few with underwater audio on capturing how obnoxiously loud cable hum is under the water. I can’t believe fish can “hear” or detect anything with that hum going on. I spend a lot of effort making my gear quieter and more stealthy. I do own a non-faceted shark and catch fish off it. Don’t buy into gimmicks or snake-oil salesmen......that is how we ended up with Trump. 

Doc,  Now bringing politics into it?  LOL-GO TRUMP 2020 !!!! (You started it)  Wanna side bet who wins 2020??  I will cover it...

You're not a fish, so one does not know whether a fish can hear a ball/weight/attractor/shark with hum of a cable?  Another test needed I guess :)

That was  a great "opinion" on cable....BUT what about the Shark guys who use BRAID.......  with SHARKS.... Hum factor is OUT!

Do you call BS on 8" E Chip flashers?  The East end gang may be lookin' for you if you answer that one wrong..

The debate on wire cable VS braid puling weights is another great debate.  AND the conclusion is..... Whatever you feel most confident in is how you should roll.  I am a 100% wire cable guy and prefer the noise advantage.  I know guys who switched to braid then back to wire....  "They" felt wire generated more rigger bites. Again, would need a test but difficult to do and prove.  There are days when divers generate more bites also that riggers and thats always a head scratcher.. That was the case this September for us..  My divers were not as effective BUT in talking to other captains fishing same water, they had similar results...  AND there seems to be days throughout the year where a lot of guys fishing same water have similar scenarios, like long lines sucked today but riggers hot. Then two days later its opposite..  Its fishing and things are always changing...

As mentioned, a controlled experiment would need done to be 100% certain but one cannot deny the simple facts that they create more noise/attraction and fish are attracted to or will shun from that...Fish finders prove that easily.  Compare a ball weight VS shark on a FF screen.... Proof...

Does a shark or cable  do much for you when pulling attractors 15-100 ft back?  doubtful since the attractors IMO over ride a Shark/Cable.  However, spoons or offerings fished tighter  is a different game.

As seen 100X on my boat, pulling chrome sharks in the top 60 FOW will draw a lot of spectator fish, often many will not eat but they get pulled in, follow, skirt around these a LOT of time.  Its frustrating because I think they are curious fish. Some bite but a lot swim through the set. We feel some of these fish end up biting our divers in close prox. tho if the don't bite the Shark "bait" (Rookie fishermen nailed it!) Can I prover it, NOPE... 

Summer Brown trout are known as a "skittish line shy fish"  LOL but my best rigger is often the one my tightest lead behind a BLACK Shark if fishing deeper than 50 FOW..  Thats on my boat tho....

Captain Pete

• Like 1

Doc,

Darn, I gave you a chapter back and that's all you re-butt with Doc? 

Hey, I think we can all agree on that fishing and fish keep it interesting and if it was the same day in and day out, it would get boring and lose its charm.. (Ie. lake Erie all summer :)) Also, conditions and fish moods are always changing, lots of theories exist, we all have our opinions and if we all thought the same, it would be a pretty darn boring world... And the media would be pretty darn bored without TRUMP in office.

Oh yeah, one last item: Doc with Team Yankee this fall??? That was a nice surprise at KOTL.  

Captain Pete

I was a hired gun for Vince lol. Had a blast. In reference to -does the signature of a shark ball matter..,,,I believe the great Vince Pierleoni once said at a LOTSA lecture “everything matters” as it pertains to what we put in the water. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, Earl28 said:

Does anyone on this thread have a preference for the standard or the extreme shark.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The standard shark track much better then the extreme.  At least with the famous Oswego area currents.  I don't think they make the standard anymore however which is a real bummer.