Re-Spooling my downrigger question

200 ft is pretty standard in usage. Usually folks commonly fish within 150 ft or so with them and for much of the year less than that. The 400 ft rolls are mainly for "curiosity seekers" in my view but it also allows  someone some room for "error" if they have a kink or other misfortune requiring shortening the cable.. What would be interesting is when the battery goes dead on the rigger and you are experimenting 350 ft or so:lol:

56 minutes ago, Bustersit said:

On the cannon website on YouTube they show a guy re spooling his downrigger wire with 400ft of wire. I purchased (2) 200 ft length of downrigger wire for each downrigger.

Is 200 ft of wire for each downrigger enough? I fish here in lake Ontario only.

Thanks for any direction here.

Tim

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I always load my riggers with 300 ft of cable. For those rare days I need to fish 200 + ft down I can and if I kink a cable 80 or 100 ft down I'm not screwed. It does effect the accuracy of the counter on my scottys but not a big deal to me as I usually set my riggers to what I am seeing on the graph anyway.

Rick's advice is well taken as the accuracy of the counter allows you to consistently return to a given depth as it is an "absolute" measure relating to the turns of the wheel. The display on the screen of a depth is more of a relative measure and doesn't allow the same level of consistency because there are many more variables affecting it's accuracy.

So I sent Cannon an email to make sure 200 ft of wire would suffice for a correct and accurate read with the Counter.

Cannons response was yes. 200ft will give a true count and not a problem. Anything 200-400 ft it will read accurately was his response.

I thought I'd pass this along. I never considered the counter aspect.

Thanks again,

Tim

26 minutes ago, Bustersit said:

So I sent Cannon an email to make sure 200 ft of wire would suffice for a correct and accurate read with the Counter.

Cannons response was yes. 200ft will give a true count and not a problem. Anything 200-400 ft it will read accurately was his response.

I thought I'd pass this along. I never considered the counter aspect.

Thanks again,

Tim

My riggers run about 10 ft deeper at 100 ft on the counters with 300 ft of cable compared to 200 ft. Again not a big deal. A faster or slower trolling speed will change your depth more than that.

Always put 400. Personally I take 10-15’ off a month just to minimize losing a ball/probe. It’s common every season I’ll take Kings with riggers out up to 200’, and if you have a tangle you’ll have plenty to keep going. Such cheap insurance to simply put the extra on

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You want to see messed up counters......I run braid.....:lol:.....If I tell ya I'm going at 55' I can guarantee it aint 55'. 

You can calibrate ( on paper) your counters with any rigger or cable. Have boat in neutral ( drifting ). Let out a certain # of feet of cable and check your counter against your sonar ( be sure rigger cable is straight down )

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app