Luhr Genson troll speed indicator?

Does anyone have any experience using a luhr genson troll speed indicator? I have gps speed on my garmin, but I'm thinking this might give me an idea of what's going on below the surface? My hope was to pair this with a fish hawk td to get the temp ranges and atleast an idea of lure speed. Between the fish hawk td, lure speed, and gps speed it might get me a little closer than I am right now. A fish hawk x4 is just not in my budget right now. Thanks

The Luhr Jensen Trolling Speed Indicator has been around for years and measures surface speed with a weight attached to a pendulum.  Experienced trollers could judge their speeds by downrigger cable angle or dipsey rod tension just as well as what this device offers.  If you have GPS speed on your electronics that is way more accurate than the Luhr Jensen device.  Hard to believe they still make these things.  My advice save your money and look for a used Fish Hawk, Depth Raider or Moor Subtroll over the winter.

I used one back in the mid seventies as described above and although pretty primitive it did at least supply some information despite it being a simple device. It had color bands going from green to red (not specific miles per hr). What it did allow however was being able to return to the approximate speed that a fish was caught (and coordinated with a color on the scale) which was a step up from a total "guesstimate":smile:. What I did was to carry small very thin strips of tape with me and when I caught a fish I'd put a strip on the exact place on the color bar relative to my speed (as soon as the fish hit) and then return to that place on the scale so even if I slowed the motor etc. I could return to the same speed (or close to it). Again, better than nothing but not much better:lol: I believe I gave mine away in about 1978:lol:

Edited by Sk8man