Trolling plate or bags ?

I use bags on my 23' boat I use on erie. but on my small 17' tri hull open bow I use the easy troller plate. either one will slow you down. they are positives and negatives to both. but with a small boat I like the plate the best. get the easy troller with the fins. the easy troller has a spring loaded lower half that raises up if you forget them and give the boat throttle. the easy troller is the best plate out there. I used plates for 30 yrs and used almost every plate on the market.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, Pete Collin said:

Just to be contrary.....A trolling plate doesn't need to be stored, and you don't have anything hanging off the stern when you bring a fish in to be netted.  It will last the life of your boat, won't dry rot or rip.

That is true until the one time that you forget to raise it before you take off and you subsequently ruin it. I think that a 16 footer that trolls should have a little kicker,not bags or trollplates

2 hours ago, sherman brown said:

I use bags on my 23' boat I use on erie. but on my small 17' tri hull open bow I use the easy troller plate. either one will slow you down. they are positives and negatives to both. but with a small boat I like the plate the best. get the easy troller with the fins. the easy troller has a spring loaded lower half that raises up if you forget them and give the boat throttle. the easy troller is the best plate out there. I used plates for 30 yrs and used almost every plate on the market.

X2. The spring loaded lower half makes all the difference in the world. It prevents damage and enables you to get additional thrust when needed.

51 minutes ago, rolmops said:

That is true until the one time that you forget to raise it before you take off and you subsequently ruin it. I think that a 16 footer that trolls should have a little kicker,not bags or trollplates

to start with all 16' boats don't have room for a kicker. but it is the best option. but if they use a plate be sure its the easy troller. it swings up if you forget to raise it. I forgot with a happy troller the 1st morning out and ruined the whole trip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...