BT set ups

7' light or medium light Ugly Stiks are my favorite BT rods. The 8'-3" Ugly stiks are perfect too.
I had a bunch of 7' light Ugly Stiks and would've loved them if they were two piece. One pieces aren't very convenient to deal with and looking for something a little longer and fast action.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, rolmops said:

I use 8 foot light to medium action ugly sticks with daiwa accudepth reels loaded with 12 pound line and 10 pound leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My BT setups are also my walleye setups. 8' ML Daiwa Wilderness rod and Okuma Convector 20 with 12lb Berkley Big game and 10lb Flouro leaders. Great setups for BT and walleye.

34 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

My BT setups are also my walleye setups. 8' ML Daiwa Wilderness rod and Okuma Convector 20 with 12lb Berkley Big game and 10lb Flouro leaders. Great setups for BT and walleye.

ML 7'-9' rods make great BT rods. I was given a couple of the Wilderness rods and they didn't last. I run Daiwa Great Lakes rods for most everything else and I'm still not a huge fan of the fit and finish of those. I hate to say it, but Daiwa's quality has gone down considerably. I'm a huge Daiwa guy, but these Great Lakes specific rods IMHO are low end. You look at their Bass line ups and they look great!

We've caught the incidental Salmon on these, but they're great for BT. They are either Riverside or Streamside rods that Fat Nancy has made specifically for Spring BT.IMG_20190420_113728.thumb.jpeg.e869a3e2e17b19c4aea37805102940a9.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm gonna look into those when I'm up there next time, exactly what I'm looking for

25 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

ML 7'-9' rods make great BT rods. I was given a couple of the Wilderness rods and they didn't last. I run Daiwa Great Lakes rods for most everything else and I'm still not a huge fan of the fit and finish of those. I hate to say it, but Daiwa's quality has gone down considerably. I'm a huge Daiwa guy, but these Great Lakes specific rods IMHO are low end. You look at their Bass line ups and they look great!

Interesting, can't say I've had the same results. I've been running the ML wilderness rods for 2 years now with no issues. I also run the 9' MH wilderness rods on my wire dipsey setups and haven't had any issues with those either. My only complaint really is that the 8' ML seem closer to a M than ML imo, but other than that they work fine.

Thanks Matt and Rick, I think you made up my mind, they look like a blast

I got the same rods Rick is running.... Fantastic!!! And when a crazy spring king hits one....look out!!! Lmao

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, Yankee Troller said:

I bought 10 diawia Great Lakes rods 8 ft med and 7 ft med for inline boards for walleye. I use the 8 ft med for both eyes and spring Kings. There ok rods. I found a pair of 9 ft Great Lakes system diver rods the old ones and love them. The old style 8 ft med action rods were my all time favorite rigger rods. It makes no sense why they just didn’t keep producing those rods. Same thing with ugly stick if they made there old rods people would line up for them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RD9 said:

I bought 10 diawia Great Lakes rods 8 ft med and 7 ft med for inline boards for walleye. I use the 8 ft med for both eyes and spring Kings. There ok rods. I found a pair of 9 ft Great Lakes system diver rods the old ones and love them. The old style 8 ft med action rods were my all time favorite rigger rods. It makes no sense why they just didn’t keep producing those rods. Same thing with ugly stick if they made there old rods people would line up for them. 

The old Great Lakes System rods were the best rods!

7 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

The old Great Lakes System rods were the best rods!

Why can’t they reproduce that exact rod? People would pay...

• 1 month later...

I like the ML Eagle Claw Starfires.  Great slow action so you can fish lighter leaders if needed and get a great fight from the fish.  Durable enough to land occasional salmon but light enough to feel weeds or a 10” perch dragging along.

• Like 1