Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan M

I think I got the OK to look for a used boat this winter.

Recommended Posts

Wife finally budged a bit on getting a newer boat - now I'm trying to figure out what I would want to get. Budget is 10k or less.

Primarily going to be used for musky and trolling the finger lakes. Maybe lake O at times when it's nice.

Probably leaning towards a 16 or 17.5 deep V which I would still be able to fit in my garage.

My current boat is an 82 Duranautic - only 70" wide which is very cramped for my brother and I.

Will spend probably 70/30 trolling / casting on this boat.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the 16 or 17 aluminum  Crestliner, StarCraft, Smokercraft, Lund, Sea Nymph etc.  Aluminum, Outboard.  If a 19 will fit in your garage by all means go for it.  

You won't regret that choice.   In the marketplace, if you don't want to go full windshield, side or center consoles can be found for a little less money.

 

The other choice is a 17 fiberglass center console or a fish and ski/open bow.   You will be getting a boat with a better ride than aluminum.

 

I have had a couple of both so send me a PM if you have any questions, or post it here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Fold away tongue on the trailer will allow you to go bigger. Maybe measure your garage and take it from there. The bigger the better .

I added a fold away tongue to this one - I have like 20' from front to back, but it's a car and a half so I can go in at an angle and get some more room. Just not sure just how big I could go and fit. 18 would PROBABLY fit - not sure about 19. If I was good at maths I could probably figure it out :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 Boston Whaler Montauk with a Yamaha four stroke outboard.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

17 Boston Whaler Montauk with a Yamaha four stroke outboard.


Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

  You did see his budget  ?  Not many Montauks out there with a Yammie 4 stroke for that kind of money . I can't imagine setting up a Montauk with riggers , tracks, electronics ,planer boards /mast with pulleys and not having it look like a cluster. No under gunwales to tidy up the wiring and about zero storage space for anything else. Great boat but IMHO not for fishing on Lady O with the proper gear to maximize your hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_0253.JPG
Paid not that much more with a two year old trailer. Spent a little money after to get things right but you’d be surprised what you can buy.
#1 do your research.
#2 don’t buy on impulse.



Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this diagram makes sense at all - how big of a boat can I fit in my space?  Current setup is 20'8" long and 82" wide and it fits in straight. I could angle it in the corner to fit a bigger boat. Trying to figure out how big I can realistically go in my garage with my wife not killing me because she can't park her car.

72972035_2533359900086902_835747876423335936_n.jpg

72669494_450893238859658_6066813546673471488_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

IMG_0253.JPG
Paid not that much more with a two year old trailer. Spent a little money after to get things right but you’d be surprised what you can buy.
#1 do your research.
#2 don’t buy on impulse.



Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Friend in Charleston suggested center console - huge lack of storage to me and seems like a big lack of casting deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was you guys would you - get a larger boat and store in the driveway - or something that fits in the garage?

I'm leaning towards garage just because I like to keep my stuff nice, but if a good deal came up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to keep my boat covered in the driveway all summer and then pay to put it indoors for the winter. Cost $150 a year and worked out well.

The only downside was having to schedule a time to put it up and get it out. You’re always risking missing time that you could get out early or late season and also having it in the driveway for that first big snow storm.



Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get the biggest boat that my tow vehicle could handle or at least a 21 ' .There are barns/storage places all over reasonably priced for a set up like that. Myself, I would keep it in the driveway with a good winter cover and be done with it. Nice to have it close by to work on. The garage limits you to a smaller boat which you probably will out grow . I would rather have more room in my boat than going smaller so I could store it in the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

I would get the biggest boat that my tow vehicle could handle or at least a 21 ' .There are barns/storage places all over reasonably priced for a set up like that. Myself, I would keep it in the driveway with a good winter cover and be done with it. Nice to have it close by to work on. The garage limits you to a smaller boat which you probably will out grow . I would rather have more room in my boat than going smaller so I could store it in the garage.


Not sure what I would be able to find for 10-12k in that size that was nice - was thinking tracker targa 19 but they are more expensive. Suggestions? Remember - primarily is musky fishing 

Edited by Dan M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a 99 StarCraft Superfisherman with  for sale on this site ,has a kicker , no idea what length it is. Page 3 , looks to be in decent shape. Other than that hit up craigslist and widen your search to how far your willing to travel. Erie , Watertown ,Syracuse ,Albany , Buffalo  ect.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

There is a 99 StarCraft Superfisherman with  for sale on this site ,has a kicker , no idea what length it is. Page 3 , looks to be in decent shape. Other than that hit up craigslist and widen your search to how far your willing to travel. Erie , Watertown ,Syracuse ,Albany , Buffalo  ect.

I was just looking at that Starcraft and other posts online - seems like a great boat for Ontario salmon - my concern would be that I fish Waneta alot for musky - and with the high gunwales making it hard to net and unhook a fish while it's in the water - not to mention the smaller launch at Waneta.

Boat will spend probably most of it's life at Waneta/Chataqua/Canandaguia and sometimes Ontario.

Would a smaller boat be better for those smaller lakes? (easier to launch and reach over the boat to lip/unhook musky)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its all about trade off's. Cannot see the difference in launching a 17' aluminum boat vs a 19' . Had a 26' Stamas that I fished musky's  for a decade on the upper Niagara never had trouble leaving them in the water and releasing them with higher  gunwales than the 19 listed here. If I thought I was going to hit up O once in a while I would go with the 19' all day long. Sounds like you talking yourself into a smaller boat, not many people do that unless there is a HP restriction on there main lake. Bigger is always better and with the proper net the musky will swim away , there hearty fish. I can't remember one of our 500 or so of catches that ever went belly up and that was before the days of bogo gripping them with a long rope to increase the survival rate.. Good luck with your search !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Its all about trade off's. Cannot see the difference in launching a 17' aluminum boat vs a 19' . Had a 26' Stamas that I fished musky's  for a decade on the upper Niagara never had trouble leaving them in the water and releasing them with higher  gunwales than the 19 listed here. If I thought I was going to hit up O once in a while I would go with the 19' all day long. Sounds like you talking yourself into a smaller boat, not many people do that unless there is a HP restriction on there main lake. Bigger is always better and with the proper net the musky will swim away , there hearty fish. I can't remember one of our 500 or so of catches that ever went belly up and that was before the days of bogo gripping them with a long rope to increase the survival rate.. Good luck with your search !


good points. I think what I’ve been looking at is what I can get for 12k. Newer smaller boat or older 19-20. That’s what’s making me lean toward the smaller one is I don’t want another problem with a motor 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second a GLS best boat ive been in to date-for the price point that is. try and get a 1993-1995 they came with a fully aluminum construction, vs earlier or older they had a wooden floor,transom.

 

Good luck with your search

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 8:28 AM, Dan M said:

I was just looking at that Starcraft and other posts online - seems like a great boat for Ontario salmon - my concern would be that I fish Waneta alot for musky - and with the high gunwales making it hard to net and unhook a fish while it's in the water - not to mention the smaller launch at Waneta.

Boat will spend probably most of it's life at Waneta/Chataqua/Canandaguia and sometimes Ontario.

Would a smaller boat be better for those smaller lakes? (easier to launch and reach over the boat to lip/unhook musky)

 

I think you're on the right track. I split my time casting and trolling and fishing a lot of walleye, bass and now musky and would go for a lower set multi-species over a pure Lake O style trolling style boat myself. As much deck space and internal storage as you can swing.

 

I had an 18' Lund Impact that was perfect for that but there are some less expensive options in the same style.

 

As for launching a big boat on Waneta. It's coming in that's the problem. Turning my 22' fiberglass in that channel and getting it on the trailer last night with a ripping North wind was a chore to say the least. And I also learned that when you think there is no one around at that launch you should still keep the expletives to a minimum because there is a house next door that can hear you fine from their porch. Whoops

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Solid boat in your price range. Deep enough for the big lake, they make swing-a-way trailer tongue kits you can install that will save you an extra foot or two and maybe fit in the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:


Solid boat in your price range. Deep enough for the big lake, they make swing-a-way trailer tongue kits you can install that will save you an extra foot or two and maybe fit in the garage.

Just talked to the guy - think I’m gonna go look 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, FishingFool34 said:


Solid boat in your price range. Deep enough for the big lake, they make swing-a-way trailer tongue kits you can install that will save you an extra foot or two and maybe fit in the garage.

I went today and had a look - thinking about it- it wasn't covered while stored outside so it was a bit rougher inside than I wanted. Very nice guy though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...