Getting ready to plan my 09 trip, any ideas?

raider44

I have cabin fever- from fishing in general. Bowhunting is fun, but it seems that winter and early spring takes too damn long. The lake erie steelhead havent made it into the rivers around my house yet, so thats still a no go. I decided to begin planning my 09 summer trip to Point Breeze.

What are generally the better times of the year to go to slam Kings. We usually go between the last week in July or first week of august. Should I stick with that time frame or make it earlier- I cannot go later because I coach football and even getting around August 6th or 7th is pushing it. I stay at North of the Ridge Campground usually.

any ideas on anything will help- this is the first time I have used the forum for planning a trip, so i figured I would take advantage of that and get some input from some you guys.. thanks!

I think you are fine with the weeks you have now. You are well past the transition period of eary June, and most of the Kings are still feeding before the fall run. Of course any week can be good or bad but pushing your week forward or back of those dates should not alter your chances. Any week between the 4th of July and labor day should be good at the Oak as long as the Weather and lake temps are ok.

Good Luck

Raider, Greg is correct with his response. I always plan long term like you, taking a week in July and a week or 2 in Aug thru Labor day. However, if I were to be limited to just 1 week between the 2 months, personally. I'd take the week in July. ( I usually target early to mid July) Several reasons are, there are many times fishing that month that one never has to leave 150 FOW and catch kings, browns, and other silvers. Whereas the later in July and into early Aug it seems that the fishery is usually further offshore ( there are exceptions obviously, wind direction and down temps among others) Another, take it for what you feel it is worth, " Usually" the fleas are not quite as bad either, making it much nicer fishing esp. when running added lines ( sliders and cheaters) to the rigger lines. Also, on a side note- you could fish in the Summer LOC which ends on July 19th. Whereas later in the month you are fishing after that derby and before the Orleans Co.- Just something to think about. Having said that, days on the calendar are just that. One year to the next can change due to events beyond one's control. A lengthy winter like we had not to many years ago can put a wrinkle into the best laid plans. But using past experience as a guide, you are targeting the right time in general. Hope this helps-Duane

Thank you for the advice chinook, rail bird. DoubleD, that sounds great I will let you know closer to the date when I head out there- We were in and out of Captains Cove often last year. On several evenings we would take our boat down the river and fish for bass right around the cove- great time all around.

Eric, again many thanks for the anticipated package. Looking forward to it. I tried several times calling you back while you were in Florida. Hope you had a great time. I may be heading back down for a few days here next week. Taking the parents back to Sanibel Island for the month of February. -Take care and keep in touch-Duane

Raider, I go by Maniac on the radio but the boat is named "Hocus Pocus" (2450 Sabre). When I am not fishing it is parked by the camper. I am along the middle road between the 2 entrances. Eric

• 1 month later...