Altmar

HB2

The wife and I went leaf peeping in the ADKS  ( the colors were fabulous ) . 

Stopped at the hatchery on the way back. 

Race way was full of kings with more trying to get in . Was quite a sight . 

I guess they are going to start taking eggs soon . 

Also there were lots of guys fishing and campers everywhere . Nice to see the area making money . 

KIMG0858.jpg

KIMG0855.jpg

KIMG0857.jpg

• Like 1

I was also there Thursday, spoke with Betsy, who said they were on track with ~1 million eggs, needing about 4 million.  I got there just after they finished, and my hat is off to the crew, bolstered by a class from Morrisville, for their meticulous work in cleaning the area when they are done.  If restaurants spent this much care in cleaning there would never be a food poisoning case. It stopped raining so I headed to a store to get gloves and then go fish, but by the time I got the gloves it was pouring again, and I heard that Steve Lapan was at the hatchery so I wnt baxck to seem if I could say hello.  No Stev, but Fred, the camo bandana wearing worker in WC's pix, an old friend, came upstairs and we spoke for quite a while.  They will likely be taking King eggs for another week, then cohos.  They do not sound concerned about egg numbers, but he says they are getting a lot more males than  females.  He asays they think they have enough kings with what is in the chute, holding pens (they are only using two) and the ladder.  The brook is mainly filled with cohoes with some kings dominating the entrance to the ladder.

What I saw of the Publ;ic river was pretty devoid of fish.  DSR was mixed, there were a lot of ki9ngs spawnijg in the gravel at the little black, but a olot of other spots are slim pickings.  There was a push Wednesday PM in the heavy rain, but it didn't amount to a huge run and by Friday Town was elbow to elbow with new PA and NJ arrivals, likely another circus today!  Walked 1.5 miles of lower DSR yesterday and saw one 15 lb BRIGHT hen  king caught, a few other fish push through shallow spots but no big run.  Lots of chatter up there about poor returns this year, those west end fish are probably still in transit!

I was also there Thursday, spoke with Betsy, who said they were on track with ~1 million eggs, needing about 4 million.  I got there just after they finished, and my hat is off to the crew, bolstered by a class from Morrisville, for their meticulous work in cleaning the area when they are done.  If restaurants spent this much care in cleaning there would never be a food poisoning case. It stopped raining so I headed to a store to get gloves and then go fish, but by the time I got the gloves it was pouring again, and I heard that Steve Lapan was at the hatchery so I wnt baxck to seem if I could say hello.  No Stev, but Fred, the camo bandana wearing worker in WC's pix, an old friend, came upstairs and we spoke for quite a while.  They will likely be taking King eggs for another week, then cohos.  They do not sound concerned about egg numbers, but he says they are getting a lot more males than  females.  He asays they think they have enough kings with what is in the chute, holding pens (they are only using two) and the ladder.  The brook is mainly filled with cohoes with some kings dominating the entrance to the ladder.

What I saw of the Publ;ic river was pretty devoid of fish.  DSR was mixed, there were a lot of ki9ngs spawnijg in the gravel at the little black, but a olot of other spots are slim pickings.  There was a push Wednesday PM in the heavy rain, but it didn't amount to a huge run and by Friday Town was elbow to elbow with new PA and NJ arrivals, likely another circus today!  Walked 1.5 miles of lower DSR yesterday and saw one 15 lb BRIGHT hen  king caught, a few other fish push through shallow spots but no big run.  Lots of chatter up there about poor returns this year, those west end fish are probably still in transit!

I spent 3 hours at the hatchery today. Lucky13 ‘ s take us right on Beaverdam brook was devoid of fish except for about 20 kings at the mouth of the ladder. They said the egg take is on track , but I’ve been going to the hatchery virtually every year for the past 10 or so , and this is the sparsest run I have witnessed. IMG_1175.thumb.JPG.e2d628223c89bf396b2fd97aab44d07f.JPGIMG_1177.thumb.JPG.b23e9ebb499638a2e4ee89ee33aada1b.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app