Climber vs Sticks + Hang On

idn713

I am looking into the Loan Wolf hunt ready system (sticks and stand all pack together). I already have a climber and I am quick with that, but I do love the idea of any tree, anywhere that the sticks would afford me. 

REALISTICALLY, is it actually easy to get there in the dark and be able to get the sticks and stand up without becoming a sweaty mess and clanging around? Just seems like whenever I hang stuff in the summer it takes forever (granted it's not lightweight or advanced tech).  Further, would you guys be comfortable leaving the stand in the tree (I am hunting Irondequoit) with the top stick attached and pulling the bottom three? I feel like once I got the stand in, getting the sticks in and out would be a snap. 

Or am I better off making do with the climber this year and just going sticks and saddle for next year? 

I know this is a tired often asked question, but I am 29/physically fit and I still hate hanging stands. I then go on forums and guys claim they are whisper quiet and get stands on in minutes. Just seems like a bit of exaggeration. Thoughts?

Edited by idn713

I think I am going to try the saddle method myself next year, definitely to late this year. To being that mobile with virtually zero wait seems brainless to me. Have heard more good then bad about that kind of system.

• Like 1

Sat for the first time last week in a saddle. Don't think I will buy another tree stand. Minor mods needed with lone wolf sticks, and a small learning curve but it's gonna be a game changer in my opinion. Once you're comfortable you can shoot 360 degrees. Very comfortable as well

Question on the Saddle .... does it hurt you back while sitting long periods?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

‘Bout Time
Mike

I'm 50 in decent shape I have been preparing stand spots for a climber for years. In and out with very minimal impact. Key is to have your spots cleared well before season. I put the climber n backpack on my back and if I'm way back in and get a doe I pack her out. Climb ash, maple, white pine red or tamarack. Small saw will get you up any tree that's straight. Risky leaving stands where public can get to em. Love my olman treestand

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 10/18/2019 at 12:32 PM, JakeyBaby said:

For guys that are using saddles, what brand do you have and likes and dislikes? I'm looking to put my order in soon but there are a ton on the market now.

Also, do you have the leaning or sitting style?

I made my own out of camo fleece and some old tree stand harness. It was a ten weeks backorder from aerohunter for a kestrel flexfit. I tried it first time today. Go to saddlehunter.com and you'll have more information than you can absorb. My impression so far: you still have to climb the tree. So you have to find a.method that works for you. Also, I'm not crazy about looking at a tree all all day. I prefer to sit or stand with my back against the tree.

Well, interesting subject. I just used my new climber yesterday. X-stand mini X1. World's lightest climbing stand. Well, it broke first tree I climbed. Handle on the seat climber broke. I was up about 6 feet. I have bought 4 climbers. None of them suited me. They are ALL noisy. They are ALL too heavy. Some are even nearly impossible to climb with. Cable or flat ribbon flops down, grabs tree, etc. So, I have cobbled together a couple decent ones using the best parts and ideas from the 4! But they still are s pain. Anytime you are carrying a metal heavy bulky stand through the woods you are going to sound like a dump truck. Especially in the swamp where I have to hunt. Also, it's an effort to set up and climb. But as for hang ons, they are an bigger pain to climb a tree and then hang. But, if you can leave them all season, they the best. Sneak in, climb up, totally silent! I'm starting into saddles, but I see problems there too. You still need a climbing method, and I so far don't enjoy facing the tree. But, I am new to it, so to early to tell. But seems like a lot of monkey motion in the dark with the guys who are trying to go total minimalist with one stick, aiders and such. So it will be a trial and error to figure out what works for you. So far, after 44 years of hunting, I'm still not happy with the tree stands and methods I have tried and I've tried most. Again, hang ons are quietest and best, but only if you can put them up early and leave them 

I'm looking at summit open @15 lbs or a lone wolf assualt handclimber @ 14 lbs since the x -stand didn't work out. Lone Wolf is pretty expensive so I may have to wait until next year unless I can launder some more money through Home Depot. 

FYI, to you guys using climbing stands after climbing utility poles for 40 yrs. here is a little tip. Every pole or tree has what is called a high side & a low side. The high side is what you want to climb on, look at the tree & most will lean one way or the other the high side is the side that will be leaning away from you,(like a ladder) this is the side you want to climb on it will be the easiest & safest to climb. Also this is the side you want to hang your stand on for the most comfort while sitting.  Good luck & be safe!

• Like 1

I'm looking at summit open @15 lbs or a lone wolf assualt handclimber @ 14 lbs since the x -stand didn't work out. Lone Wolf is pretty expensive so I may have to wait until next year unless I can launder some more money through Home Depot. 
Love my lone wolf hand climber. Its light, rock solid, quiet and easy to use.20191023_161416.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 10/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, lineman49 said:

FYI, to you guys using climbing stands after climbing utility poles for 40 yrs. here is a little tip. Every pole or tree has what is called a high side & a low side. The high side is what you want to climb on, look at the tree & most will lean one way or the other the high side is the side that will be leaning away from you,(like a ladder) this is the side you want to climb on it will be the easiest & safest to climb. Also this is the side you want to hang your stand on for the most comfort while sitting.  Good luck & be safe!

Thanks for the tip.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, lineman49 said:

Best tip for climbers I've ever read. I must always pick wrong side seems every time I'm at desired height the stand wants to rotate to other side of the tree.  Thanks for sharing.