DIY WASHDOWN KIT?

MINNOWNITE

How do you go about doing a washdown kit? where would the best place be to "suck" water from? bilge/transome area? What about where the water goes? auto bilge? not much info on these for some reason. it will be installed on a 1990 gls195 I/O. 

Thanks 

Waldo

Most,  if not all boats that run them have a gutter of some sort on the aft deck. The water runs off into the gutter then out the scupper hole that is located in the transom at least 2-4" above the waterline. A through hull fitting with a shut off valve is where the water comes from. Personally if I had to drain the water into the bilge I wouldn't install a wash down pump.  If I had carpet on the deck I wouldn't bother , just asking for a rotten deck in the near future. .. 5 gallon bucket and let it fly if my boat didn't meet the above criteria.. Install the switch on the dash , the pumps have a built in switch/pressure regulator that turns the pump on when you hit the trigger on the nozzle.as long as you have voltage going to it ,hence the switch on the dash.  Need more info on the deck of the boat to give a accurate assessment..

Currently it's carpet. Which has a rotten floor. Next winter I'll be doing a full overhaul. It will be some sort of vinyl I think. Definitely not carpet. So if I understand you correct @Bozeman Bob I would have a thru hull about 4" above the water line and it just drains? It would fill my bilge before it would reach that. Unless I built up my dog house so water couldn't drain into the bilge... Thoughts? Here's a pic with the engine out righ20191015_172344.thumb.jpg.2304cfe72d2b9cb22b2cda00331fe333.jpgt now. 

Yes you should have a water stop around the dog house. Something like a 1 -2 " high 2x2 surrounding the 3 sides should do the trick  waterproof of course.. Your two exit holes / tubes/PVC  should be at least  halfway  below the deck for drainage. If you cut the round hole,insert the PVC and used 3m 4200 to seal it you could then put a rubber flapper on the outside slightly extended  end of it to keep water from entering. You will have to drill a hole in the bottom for your water. Intake that would enter through a check valve set up. Vinyl on the floor might be a bit slippery when wet or worse in the spring when it's almost icy.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

The water level is above the floor level. by about 2-3" or so. Seems kinda sketchy to just drill holes in the transom to let water drain...but thats why i ask. Considering not a lot of amount of water would actually be coming from the wash down i think the bilge is the way to go...i would have 1 manual pump and 1 auto so i definitely have a backup. thoughts?

Well yeah , if the deck is below the waterline you will have a hard time draining it .Unless you want to drain the lake into the boat .. Yes two pumps would work and the pumps should be auto with a overriding switch so you can turn them on when needed and to get more water out. The auto floats usually kick off the pumps before they hit the point where there not working., leaving a bunch of water behind. Wonder what condition your transom and stringers are in if the deck is shot .

well thats what the foam is in there for right? keep me above the water? :grin: 

you can wire a bilge so it can run off of the float or manual? ill have to look into that.

And surprisingly enough the transom is solid. However since ill be overhauling the whole boat i will be replacing the transom anyway. I currently have the engine out for a headgasket and its dry and solid. must have been replaced. I cant see it being original from 1990 and looking like it does

• 2 months later...
How do you go about doing a washdown kit? where would the best place be to "suck" water from? bilge/transome area? What about where the water goes? auto bilge? not much info on these for some reason. it will be installed on a 1990 gls195 I/O. 

Thanks 
Waldo

i got same boat i have a pump tht went to live well i hooke up for washdown

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app